Santorini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I just returned from Santorini. I think it's a very underrated dive destination! The vis is excellent and the topography dramatic. The water is cold; you need no less than a 5mm suit and I would prefer a 7mm. You do not need hood and gloves.

There are not as many fish as some islands of the Caribbean, but the topography and vis make up for it. We made just two dives, dive 1 near an island and dive 2 from shore. The shore dive maxed out at 150' about 30 yards from shore.

Thank you for sharing this! I have dreamt of seeing Santorini for years, because the photographs are so dramatic, but of late, I'm hard to drag to anywhere where there isn't reasonably good diving. So it's good to know there is something to see there.

You would not be disappointed with the diving in Santorini. (We also dive in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Rica, etc.) The only caveat is the water temp, even in the dead of summer they dive with 5mm suits.

The island itself is amazing, just idyllic scenery everywhere. The food is also exceptionally good with the local cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, wine, desserts, etc.

Tour books would have you believe the entire island consists of Fira and Oia. My wife and I went to those towns for just one afternoon (we were there 6 days). We preferred Akrotiri, Perissa, Kamari, Pygros, and Megalohori.

Hi Matt, I'm going to Santorini next month and wonder if you could share which dive operator you used, and whether you were happy with them. Do you know if they still dive in mid-October, by chance? Hopefully the water won't be too cold then!

Hi,

Went to Santorini last year. Will recommend Navys divecenter located at Kamari beach. Had two excellent dives there with Owen Butler as DM. Everything was perfect and the divesites were really good(and challenging) for my limited experience at the time.

The navys website: Navys Waterworld Dive Center »

Kristian

Matt,
Great stuff! I'm also from Boston and will be heading to Santorini in late June 2010 for 4 days. It's our 10 year wedding anniversary and the wife has given me the "thumbs-up" for a scuba excursion. Which sites did you dive? Any other details to share?

I've heard good things about Navy's -- so, I can't see why we wouldn't go with their outfit. Plus, I think I could build in some snorkeling for the wife as well.

Cheers,
-Ted

I went to Santori a few years ago in May, the water was too cold for wetsuit diving. (I didn;t bring my drysuit.)

Where exactly did you go diving? Crater? Beaches?

Water temp is currently 23 degrees. It reaches a high of around 25 degrees and stays above 23 well into September

Hi folks,
I just got back from Santorini and had a great dive experience with Owen and the Navy's crew (specifically, Apo and Danny). We dove on June 26th and the water was very comfortable. I'm from Boston and used to 50 degree temps (full 12MM suit, hoodie and gloves) and we only needed a 5MM suit (no hood/gloves required). Although, anyone who is fond of the scuba experience shouldn't be concerned with water temps. Right? :)

We did two dives. First through 2 or 3 caverns and the second around Perissa Rock (both on the south side of Santorini; west of Kamari beach). As stated before, the topography and caves were the main reason for me doing this dive. I've seen enough tropical fish in previous dives.

Also, I video taped both dives; maybe 70 minutes worth in total. I'll post something on YouTube in the next few weeks and post the link here.

Cheers,
-Ted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom