Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Met netdoc in the morning at Silent World then spent an enjoyable time at the elbow with a new student and a few old advancing their skills and enjoying a great fathers day. My daughter and wife along on the trip made it that much better

Last Saturday we dived Lock 21 - the first of what I hope to be a series of dives in the "Lost Villages" .

The vis wasn't great (about 6 ft) water temp 63F and there's a 1-2 knot current but it's a dive worth making. Plus it was my first dive in my new Fusion - loved it.

Friday was my second ever post-certification dive and my DM friend and I dived Fort Sewell, Marblehead. I burned through my air pretty quickly, but we still wandered down to about 40 ft. We went lobstering (all too small) but we DID find an American flag, a cell phone, a golf ball, and 3 scallops. Saw one of the biggest stripers I've ever seen face-to-face about 2 feet away. Very cool. Great dive.

Sunday I went to Old Garden Beach in Rockport with my dive shop and did two dives there. First dive was a shallow 20ft dive, but we were under for an hour and I stil had plenty of air left in my tank. (Yay for small victories). The second dive we kicked out farther and made it to a little over 40ft. We were down for about 45 minutes and again, I didn't eat up all my air. :)

I had my first "WOW" moment on that second dive. After stopping to unsuccesfully fight a lobster, my group got just a smidge ahead of me. When I looked up to find them, I really caught the underwater landscape. The mountainesque quality of the rocks, the light coming the through the water, a school of fish swimming by. I literally said "wooow" into my regulator. While hunting bugs is great fun, it's best to look up every once in a while because you don't know what kind of beauty you might be missing. :D

Just got back from three days on the Peace in the Channel Islands. Managed nine dives over three days. Conditions were a bit challenging with quite a bit of current and surge, but the sites were beautiful ... particularly out at San Miguel.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I was in college we used to fly down to the Channel Islands often. San Miguel was my favorite, but it was often too rough there to land. Anyone who has dove there knows how lucky you are to have done so also. Did you get out to Richardson's Rock?

When I was in college we used to fly down to the Channel Islands often. San Miguel was my favorite, but it was often too rough there to land. Anyone who has dove there knows how lucky you are to have done so also. Did you get out to Richardson's Rock?

We did Crook's Point, Wycoff Ledge, and Rainbarrel Reef. Last year we also did Judith Rock Pinnacle, but this year the wind was a bit too much to consider it. The reefs out there are amazing ... definitely the best dives I've done in the Channel Islands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Santa Rosa Wall, San Francisco Wall, and Chankanab Bolones - Cozumel.
Love dive masters and captains who know how to find good-viz sites in bad-viz conditions!

Got my third lionfish. Divemasters got 6 more.

Last week was a good diving week for me:

2 dives Wed night at Morrison's Quarry the first with my new 133cf HP Faber - easy tank to dive with - we did 47 minutes with a max depth of 105fsw with air to spare. With a water temp of 41F below the thermocline I used a slightly heavier undergarment for the 2nd dive to keep the chills away.

2 dives Saturday - drifted the Galop Canal (water temp 65F). It's not deep but the current was stronger than usual, you could really fly like superman. We had a couple of brand new divers with us so we had to end the dive after 33 min (without making it all the way to the Conestoga) as my buddy was down to 800psi and working hard with the current. The 2nd dive was on the Connie herself - not a difficult dive but always fun.

I'm now at 5 dives on my Fusion and am really enjoying it, it's much easier to dive in compared to my compressed neoprene drysuit.

Did two dives at my local mudhole yesterday ... we went down to about 95 fsw to visit a mama octopus on eggs ... if she were to come out of the den (which she won't) and spread out, she'd be about a 12-footer ...

IMG_7230.jpg

On the other end of the size scale ... we found this tiny (less than 2 inches long) stubby squid buried in silt, with just enough of its body out to watch what's going on ... "peek-a-boo" ...

IMG_7239.jpg

Today I'm heading up to the San Juan Islands for a couple dives ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom