DOT Expiration date on early Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Phil,
As a hydro facility owner, we do the overstamps all the time on that SP tank. I have 3 in my truck that I picked up last night that need the stamps. (as long as they pass hydro that is. If they dont, the stampings will be completely different. LOL) As for the cylinder not being filled by the shop due to being made of 6351-T6 Alloy, that is the shops decision. If that is thier policy, then so be it. That is thier right.
Myles

I have a set of twin 50s with the SP stamping, along with the AL overlay stamping. My LDS did this (actually their hydro facility), and has no problems filling these tanks.

SeaRat

Do shops that don't fill 6351 tanks just not want to have to buy an eddie tester? That's their right too, but its not because of safety, its because of cutting into profit margins. I wish they'd be honest about that.

Do shops that don't fill 6351 tanks just not want to have to buy an eddie tester? That's their right too, but its not because of safety, its because of cutting into profit margins. I wish they'd be honest about that.

Seriously :confused: Did I read that correctly? :shakehead:

The last 6351 cylinders where made over 20 years ago now. Just ditch them already. They where recalled by the mfgr, many dive shops gave large discounts to customers buying new cylinders, and the DOT even changed the hydro test procedure for this cylinder.

Seriously :confused: Did I read that correctly? :shakehead:

The last 6351 cylinders where made over 20 years ago now. Just ditch them already. They where recalled by the mfgr, many dive shops gave large discounts to customers buying new cylinders, and the DOT even changed the hydro test procedure for this cylinder.

Seriously, you read that correctly:wink:

Please cite a cylinder recall.

"Some air stations no longer fill cylinders made from 6351 alloy. While that is a personal decision, it may be a poor business practice. A few dive business employees have told cylinder owners that 6351 alloy cylinders have been recalled. NO, scuba cylinders have been recalled. Others state that the cylinder must be condemned outright. Such statements border on fraud and it is illegal to condemn a cylinder without proof that it is damaged beyond allowable limits. The Luxfer 2003 voluntary voucher program allowed owners of older cylinders to replace their cylinders at a reduced cost. That program has ended."
A short Review of 6351 Alloy Alu

The eddy current tester was made for a reason, and dive shops have bought them for a reason. They work. I'm just wondering why a dive shop would decide not to have one, or not to fill cylinders that have been tested with them. People pay the extra fee so they can be turned down for fills? There's more to it than meets the eye. Follow the paper trail.

All of the cylinders I use range from 39 to 68 years old. This is the wrong forum to say ditch the old and buy new.

Ok, to limit there litigation they called it a voucher program.

But seeing how luxfer offered $50 a cylinder, and I know dive shops that did simular items to help people buy new cylinders; to call it a "money grab" is just BS.

.. to call it a "money grab" is just BS.

I know I didn't say anything about a "money grab", but now that you mention it.......

Last edited:

Quite a few shops have been quite honest about the policy of refusing to fill 6351T6 cylinders. They have done so after a fairly exhaustive review of the vast amount of information available about the application of 6351T6 alloy to scuba cylinders.

At my store, we do have a very nice eddy current tester. We simply choose to follow the guidance of the DOT in helping remove these cylinders from service.

Oh, I would actually make more money inspecting and filling an old cylinder that I would selling the customer a brand new one.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Quite a few shops have been quite honest about the policy of refusing to fill 6351T6 cylinders. They have done so after a fairly exhaustive review of the vast amount of information available about the application of 6351T6 alloy to scuba cylinders.

At my store, we do have a very nice eddy current tester. We simply choose to follow the guidance of the DOT in helping remove these cylinders from service.

Oh, I would actually make more money inspecting and filling an old cylinder that I would selling the customer a brand new one.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

I have to agree with you about getting the 6351 alloy cylinders out of service and ending this argument.
What I don't like is that it has made a large number of shops, either through ignorance or greed to have a policy to not fill any tank, steel or 6061 aluminum over 20 years old when there is no evidence of past or future problems.

The information I read also said there was no recall on the cylinders and I also read about the $50 credit from Luxfer. I also read that Luxfer recommends a VIP every 2.5 years for their "questionable" tanks for normal use and more frequently for heavy use (rental tanks, perhaps). But every dive shop I've ever heard of insists on a VIP annually. This DOES seem like somewhat of a money grab to me but I'll wait to see what you dive shop owners have to say about that :wink:

Also, I could only find one article concerning one incident where a 6351-T6 tank exploded and the report was rather confusing. They said the tank had not been filled yet and that the guy merely connected the fitting to the tank valve and possibly opened the tank valve when all hell broke loose. So, what I would like to know is did anyone ever determine WHY it exploded? Obviously it had to have been full already so why was someone taking it to be filled? Did they recently get a heat treated paint job or drop if from a moving truck or something? Did they buy it at a garage sale after the owner got it painted incorrectly and couldn't use it anymore? How could a scuba diver not know his tank was already full?

I'l be happy to remove my tanks from service if someone convinces me they are not safe. But so far, according to the information that I have found, the tanks should be fine as long as they pass the VIP and hydro etc. I read mention of other tanks that failed but couldn't find any details but it sounds like they were probably all problems with cracked necks or heat treated paint jobs or some other physical damage. I would think that a VIP should reveal a neck crack. As for the eddie current test, I've read a little about it but so far nobody has told me I needed one but it's still early.

I thought about buying old steel 72s to replace my aluminum 80s but then I read that Sport Chalet will condemn old steel tanks (and of course they won't fill the old aluminum tanks either). Can someone explain to me why a steel tank would be unsafe if it is not rusty, passes a VIP and hydro, and the valve is in good condition?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom