Boat motors through Dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
May 22/2010 noon
WestHawk lake Manitoba
Cats Ass Dive site (marked with marine and swim area KEEP OUT floats)
While there were 6 divers including an instuctor and 2 students doing their Dependent assent Certifacation Dive. A boat motored through the dive site passing within 10 feet of the shore and 10 feet from the instructors Diver Down marker.
people on the shore were yelling at the operator he ignored them, then yelled back that he had a motor problem!! His motor work good enough to pass throw the dive site
and steer around the dive markers?
His boat regestation number and a discription of the boat was given to the parks office and a report was filed with their head office and the operator was warned to stay out the area. His response to them was no one was hurt and it was no big deal.
To bad there is'nt a enforcable Law in Canada that these boaters could be charged with how many more Divers will be injured or killed before the Laws are enforced?
Dive Safe always look up before assending.
I posted this on the Western Canada Forum as well with details of the boat for any one that would like to keep track of boats in our lakes that should be reported. DM

Carry a few empty beer bottles. Filled w/ air from a blowgun they make nice little thuds on the hull when they hit. A length of 1/2 inch nylon line that "accidentally" floats up and screws the prop or intake gets the message across as well that they might want to consider staying out of the area.

Carry a few empty beer bottles. Filled w/ air from a blowgun they make nice little thuds on the hull when they hit. A length of 1/2 inch nylon line that "accidentally" floats up and screws the prop or intake gets the message across as well that they might want to consider staying out of the area.
I like your thinking there, Jim! :wink:

I was one on those students that was down below with our instructor when the boat passed above us. During the day there was also two more boats that drove through the marked dive site.

Lets face it, skippers worldwide do not realise the dangers of diving. Having a bundle of motor- and sailing licenses I remember the theory lessons telling us not to get closer than a 100 m with our boats of a dive flag. BUT nobody took the time (what do you need 1-2 Minutes - perhaps) to point out that a diver might no come up where he intended to, that he might actually not surface at the flag but some place aside + that it is difficult for a diver to hear/see an approaching boat. Now since I started diving some years ago my view changed, but honestly a nondiving captain will not understand the possible danger of the situation. IMHO what the diving community should do is to address the folks lecturing for boat licenses, to have them further the awareness of future captains.

Having said that, a guy that drives directly over diveflags is an ignorant (enter word of your preference here) I started putting up a floating safety surface line (diving in currents) so anybody passing by very close might find himself entangled in it.

Sounds like you guys could do with a couple of my new dive flags...in a large...

Aussie_alpha-dive-flag1.jpg

:D

captain will not understand the possible danger of the situation. IMHO what the diving community should do is to address the folks lecturing for boat licenses, to have them further the awareness of future captains.

Excellent idea I menioned this same thing to the Manitoba Under Water Councel
also that they should look into setting up an informatrion booth at the Mid Canada Boat Show to show the newb boaters exactly what we us in and around dive areas and politly ask them to BEAWARE that WE ARE THERE in stead of the float rope and bottle rocket technec that I seam to be leaning toward :shocked2:. DM

I'm sure the same parks officers would write you a ticket real fast if you walked in without your float and flag.

get it on video. If you video tape the boat, the offender and the serial numbers etc... they can be charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, or attempted assult, etc.....

The trick is convincing the lay officer that they really did put your life at risk.

Also since everyone is now required to have a boaters licence in canada it is harder for them to use the " I did not know" defence.

In most lakes I dive, it is safer just to stay 4 feet or deeper and only surface along my own boats anchor line. The flag actually attracts boats.

I went on a dive as a tag along with a class that was doing their OW class. We were diving in an well marked area of the lake that had bouys marked for boats to keep out. The dive instructor told us that several years ago a boat went through those bouys, ran over the dive flag, and hit the diver. The prop cut both legs off of the diver when it hit him. Luckily it didn't kill him.

Whenever I am driving a boat/jet ski I have/will ALWAYS watched the water for anything that isn't normally there. Especially when you driving in an area that is known to have divers in it. I just don't understand why people are such idiots that when they see "keep out" bouys and/or dive flags they could care less. Are they arrogant, can't read, dumb, or just don't know what they mean. I think that you should be required to carry a license on ya at all times when operating a boat/jet ski no matter how big or small it is. If it is power by motor (gas or electric) you should be required to have a license. And you MUST be 16 or older BEFORE you can operate one. Just like a driver's license, you have to take a test and everything before getting behind the wheel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom