Is the vis at most/ all regional dive sites toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I been to Pennyroyal tha last few weeks & it was 10ft vis at best. I heard from other divers that this weekend it is much less than 5ft (more like 1ft) in the shallows, maybe about 10ft deeper, because of the recent heavy rains & storms that have gone through. Are the others- Mermet, Joes & some of the others.... all about the same? If Pennyroyal could just get 2-3 weeks with no rain, I imagine it would clear right up.

FRP is around 15' vis, 81 surface, mid 70's below 15' and 60's below 20'.

Joe is now catering to the floaters to make some more cash, open during the week
from 1pm to dusk. I suspect we will be locking up the vehicles from now on as the
place becomes more popular with the kids.

FRP is around 15' vis, 81 surface, mid 70's below 15' and 60's below 20'.

Joe is now catering to the floaters to make some more cash, open during the week
from 1pm to dusk. I suspect we will be locking up the vehicles from now on as the
place becomes more popular with the kids.

Perhaps "check out that tramp stamp!" will become a frequent SI activity. :wink:

We did Cave Run on 6-10 (which has poor viz anyways). About 2ft everywhere. Planning on Joe's Sunday hope it clears up more.

Going to do a local dive this weekend and I'm not planning on anything special.

The vis. Wed. was much better than Thurs. The vis Tues was 8- 10 ft & the vis Thurs was about 6ft. Thunderstorms that came through late Thurs. certainly won't help anything.:shakehead:

Pennyroyal was about 8-10' vis yesterday morning in the shallows a bit better deep but it was dark when you went deep due to all of the sediment over head. There were several students in the water doing their first dive without an instructor, by the end of the day, vis in the shallows was wiped out.

At one point, me and my dive buddy returned to the shallows after a deep dive and met 3 or 4 of those students. My buddy said there was a 4th one in their dust cloud that he ran into because he couldn't see the other diver. I never saw him/her When we passed them vis went to 0. You could see nothing but brown. My buddy was within 4-5' of me and we got separated. The only way I could have found him was if I just bumped into him, literally.

I made a 90deg turn in the general direction of the exit point was and swam that direction while doing my safety stop at 15-20'. After I got out of their cloud, the vis was probably 5'. At least I didn't have to swim with my hand in front of me to keep from hitting something any longer and I could read my computer without having it stuck to my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom