Did you ever change your regular dive buddy?

Did you ever have to change your regular buddy?

• No, never

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • No, but I'm seriously thinking about it

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Yes, but I regret it (second worse than the first)

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 3 dive buddies. The first 2 are my sons and I love diving with them when it works. My other buddy is Al, he is rather boring and does not communicate well. Some characterize him as cold, but he is very reliable and will dive with me anytime my sons are not along. In fact he is so reliable I will dive with just about anyone at least once as long as he is around.

Perhaps you should add a new item to the poll :
Do you have a regular dive buddy ?
I've been diving with insta-buddies for the majority of my dives. And I would prefer not to dive again with the majority of them.

Since I have generally been diving promiscuous, I can't say that I have changed buddies. I have one with whom I've been diving more or less regularly since the beginning of 2006, but we have drifted in and out regarding the frequency with which we dive together. My husband and I have been diving together intermittently since I got certified, although we are not generally primary dive buddies, except during travel. My ability to connect with other people has varied with the changes in our life patterns. But I have never had to "get rid of" anyone who has been a semi- or more regular dive partner.

I've had a lot of regular buddies over the years. Sometimes you stop diving with them because of something like a move, one of you moves to another town. But by far, the exit of my buddies have been related to marriages. One buddy, got married, and his wife simply told him he was no longer allowed to dive. Another, got married, and while he wasn't forbidden to dive, suddenly all his free time was expected to be used working on the house. And when not that, then there were always "family events" to go to (her family, of course).

Greetings Chiara and I dive with a lot of people and am willing to dive with most at least once recreationally speaking.
I have many friends at differing levels of training and enjoy diving with them at their levels.

I have not turned anyone out to pasture yet but have been pretty honest "brutally a few times" and it has affected relationships somewhat. If I feel someone is endangering themselves or other members of the team it gets addressed. End of story.

I do have what I call the chosen few who have done some deep, dark, cold, deco dives with me and these guys can handle themsleves and others on more advanced dives. Several of these would swim into hell to get me out and I for them.
These are brothers more than buddies, independent members of a team. Just a big difference in the level of dives makes a huge difference to me who I roll with.
This is not to offend anyone, and I am not a elitest or snob in any way.

I love to dive whether it is a shallow or deep, rec or deco dive. If it involves water and compressed gas I am in.
I have learned that exclusive dive buddies can limit your diving and dive thinking! I have learned very valuable information from broadening my dive buddies and have little to no trouble finding a buddy even last minute. There are more than no benefit to this line of thinking.

Have fun and I love what NW Grateful diver shared because it really is about having fun. Why am I driven to the water? It offers incredible experiences that reveal who we really are. I have come to know many divers underwater that I now call friends that I would have never imagined having relationships with. Ton's of rewarding conversations
and hours of dive time! It does not get any better than that!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

For me, diving is like sex.

I'll do it with anyone who says "yes".

I've dived with about 100 buddies over nearly 400 dives so I've been fairly promiscuous :) But I have had three regular buddies, one of which I no longer dive with as he isn't diving any more. I did my first 100 or so dives with him, we dived a few times a week and then he just stopped. Then I changed to my current regular buddy for local diving and also my cave diving buddy (who I wish I could dive with more but he doesn't do much local diving).

So, there have been a few buddies I would never dive with again (maybe about four of them) but I've never had to get rid of a regular buddy.

I dove with my instructor regularly for years. She ended up inviting me to buddy with her on a trip where I ended up meeting my future husband. I slowly drifted into having him as my regular buddy. When his diving slowed and mine was ramping up as I became an instructor the majority of signatures in my log switched again. For 4 years a fellow instructor was my main buddy. Things have changed again and I find. That two of my DMs are showing up over and over in my logbook.

Life and diving evolve for me. Its interesting to see that in my dive log. I look forward to seeing whose name will appear over and over as the years go by. I would also like to get to dive with my instructor again. Our last dive as buddies was 9/11.
Ber :lilbunny:

Marriage doesn't seem nearly as bad for eliminating buddies as children. I'm acquiring a loathing for children -- they steal dive buddies.

Hey it's usually the non-diving mommy that takes away the dive buddy! Diving mommy = happy mommy = happy home!

I wish more non-diving spouses could see this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom