Roatan or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecable66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to decide whether to go to Roatan or Cozumel. Does anyone have any advice. Also, interested in any suggestions as to dive operators and hotels. My husband and are are willing to pay less for a budget hotel in order to get quality diving. We are considering CoCo View if we go to Honduras, but are overwhelmed by the number of choices in Cozumel. Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

I just got back from Cozumel Monday after spending 5 days at the Park Royal hotel!!!! Wonderful, check it out on bookit.com, i left a recent review. My Brother and myself have gone to roatan and cozumel....don't miss cozumel! it was rated #1 place to dive...150 foot visibility, neon blue water, coral reef wall with gorgeous fish everywhere, huge angelfish with blue/purple/yellow were my favorite, as were the seahorse! We did 3 boat dives with babieca dive center which is located behind el-cid hotel (across from park royal) this dive center was awesome, best dive masters ever!!! fast small boats with max 8 people, personalized friendly, professional service. You can dive right off the shore as well, for a small fee, you can rent a master diver to go with you for a 34 foot, wreck/shore dive. A doctor, and master diver I work with dives with them every year and referred me. I can't say enough about them.. I only have 7 dives, so I was treated very well, with careful observation. There is nothing like a drift dive...I am already planning my next trip, please check them out at babieca dive center .com. You will be happy you did! the prices are good (tell Juan Jill sent you) The park royal was an all inclusive dream hotel at under $150/day per couple...3 pools, 3 swim up bars, and right next to the dive center.....Hope you choose this wonderful place, I'm going back soon! Feel free tom email me with any questions you have....happy diving!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi there
Interesting choices. I've been to both and enjoyed diving at both, but my preference is Roatan. You mentioned Coco View, I've not stayed there, I did stay accross the way at Fantasy Island Beach Resort, so I can't comment on Coco View. However, do a search and you'll find lots of info her on the board. The nice thing about that area is you are only minutes from some really good diving, walls, reefs, wrecks and right at the resort there is a wreck you can dive. The island itself is pretty laid back. There's noone in your face trying to sell you their junk like Cozumel.
However the diving in Cozumel is effertless, all drift diving. There are more restaurants and attraction. Roatan, it's a little bit of a ride to the West End, from Coco View, where most of the bars and night life can be found.
IMO Roatan has more marine life, but then again I haven't been in a couple of years, so things may have changed.
What I would do, is flip a coin, as far as diving I don't think you can go wrong with either place. However if you're looking for all inclusive 5 star accomodation, with a la carte dining and gourmet type food, then Cozumel might be a better choice.

My 2 PSI

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful replies. I'm not sure what we will choose, but it sounds like either are great options.

I just got back from CoCo View in May. It was my second time being there and it is wonderful. The staff are amazing and the dives are specticular. You can do as many dives as you want. You can go off shore at any time and if you don't want to go on the boat you don't have to. The DM's really help you and try to point out the sea creatures. I was with my 73 yr old grandmother (yes she dives) and they treated her like she was family. The food is great, if you do Roatan I highly recommend CoCo View. It is relaxing and low key.

Maybe this is a dumb question but...

Which dive operations in Cozumel have lockers close to the dock or do I need to always haul the equipment back to the hotel?

Stayed at Fantasy Island in Roatan, and Scuba Club in Cozumel....
They were two distinctly different type of diving and I enjoyed both.

If I had to choose one it would be Cozumel and Scuba Club again.
The dive operation is top notch and the food was far superior:
eat dive, eat dive... nap, dive.... wash rinse repeat

CocoView will spoil you for diving... Having spent a lot of time in both places, you'll probably like Roatan overall.

The wall in Cozumel and reef drift diving is fantastic. There are plenty of good dive operators in Cozumel. Many are really great operators, but the boats tend to be smaller and a little more like roughing it than some other places. One operator we have been with recently who made a good impression was "Dive with Martin". If you want to take a little drive south of Cozumel for some really great diving, check out "Maya Palms" which is a resort owned by a couple from St. Louis who have built a great resort for divers. This site is just north of the Belize border, has some of the best diving in Mexico, but is somewhat remote.

Roatan has many great 'resorts' that have been built just for divers. Depending on what you are looking for, you've already mentioned CocoView and they probably top the list with Anthony's Key taking a close second. Also, there's good diving over on the West side and we like Gary and the crew at "West End Divers". It's not concierge diving like some of the resorts, but they've got a great operation.

Hope some of this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom