Disturbing trend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie99:
The last guy I remember being banned was Popeye. This was also after he had an extensive debate with NetDoc. IIRC, the subject was about breathing off a BC.

Being the one that actually had the hood on while flipping the switch, I can _Guarantee_ that while Pete provided evidence of some things, he played absolutely zero role in the decision to ban popeye. He was not banned for arguing with Pete. He was banned for being here with the sole intent of disrupting the community. Instead of peacefully asking for reconsideration, he continued to disrupt with sockpuppets; thus making it very clear what his intent was.

Genesis is not banned. He was warned. I personally stand behind Pete with that warning 100%. It's one thing to dive without training; that's your personal decision. It's another thing to admit to diving without training... still fairly personal, but leaving plenty of room to discourage the practice. It's a _whole_ other issue to not only discuss diving without training, but to actually encourage it in public is downright deadly.

You can all say you shouldn't learn to dive on the internet, but who here can actually state they haven't learned anything about diving here? What about those that don't know who people are, and don't know who to believe and who not to believe? And if you go with Karl's concepts of forgoing instruction, where do you expect these people to go learn?

A while back, in a different thread, I made the analogy that if you ask me if you should wear a helmet when you ski, I will tell you without hesitation "yes". If you ask me if -I- wear a helmet when I ski, I will refuse to answer unless I trust that I can disclaim my answer properly.

Encouraging things that are blatently unsafe is downright immoral, and I applaud NetDoc for stepping up and putting his foot down on this issue; knowing full well that you wolves will be after his carcass as soon as the foot hits the ground.

And for all you others that constantly whine about threads being pulled, and not locked, or cleaned up, or otherwise. Give it a rest. The moderators are volunteers, and only have so much time to deal with this stuff. When a war brews, they have to keep up on the moderator discussion of the thread, send the PMs, keep the offshoot threads under control, deal with the responses to the PMs. Now with all this going on, there are the folks here [some who should definately know better] that wish them to go through with an objective comb and clean up the thread so that others can continue to fly off the handle later... all ni a matter of a couple minutes since the offshoot threads of "where'd my thread go" will start up after about that much time. There has been _far_ too many times where a thread starts demanding their PM for a thread being pulled, when the thread had been pulled for literally 30 seconds.

Sure, armchair quarterbacking makes the mod process simple. But until you've tried to do what's best for the site while dealing with everyone exploding around you, you really have no idea.

So I humbly request you people SHUT THE HELL UP and go talk about diving. If you want to ***** about the big jackbooted ogres on scubaboard that get their thrills squashing the little people with their massive amounts of power... PM Genesis; I think he has his own forum setup for that sort of thing.

[Damn I miss being able to lock threads]

Spectre:
So I humbly request you people SHUT THE HELL UP and go talk about diving. If you want to ***** about the big jackbooted ogres on scubaboard that get their thrills squashing the little people with their massive amounts of power... PM Genesis; I think he has his own forum setup for that sort of thing.

[Damn I miss being able to lock threads]

So far, two folks that want the thread to die have posted in it, then requested that others talk about diving...

I find that quite humorous.

try doing a Google on "Karl Denninger".....

requested that others talk about diving...
Well we could rename it www.Whineboard.com and then all this would fit. :D

But it IS www.Scubaboard.com so maybe that should be our focus.

And who said that I wanted the thread closed? Even Karl can post here... but he chooses not to. A self exile, I guess. BUT, if you wanted answers as to why, then hopefully you got some. If you wanted to vent, then hopefully you got that too. If you are expecting me to get upset that you simply disagree with me, then you obviously don't know me at all. I do apologise to Charlie99 for not banning him... I get the idea that he was hoping for that.

If anyone of you is upset with www.scubaboard.com then by all means, please go visit Karl at www.scubaforum.org . There are also some excellent forums over at www.thescubastop.com and www.thedecostop.com . If how we run this place brings you heartache or pain, than do yourself a favor and find a place more to your liking. There is no possible way that we are going to make everyone happy here, though we do try. Life is way too short to stay in a place that just makes you mad.

But then if the other places don't seem to give what you are looking for, then remember you are always welcome here. Really. We'll leave the porch light on for you just in case.

Charlie99:
The last guy I remember being banned was Popeye. This was also after he had an extensive debate with NetDoc. IIRC, the subject was about breathing off a BC.

2 guys argue with Netdoc.

2 guys get booted.

How many does it take to make a trend?

Having personally had several debates with Pete (A.K.A. NetDoc), I can vouch that it is not necessarily grounds for banning or even censure.

Mike

Spectre:

I more humbly think that you're out of line here. ScubaBoard is a community and we all play a part, however small, in deciding what it will become. While I think the MODs in general and Pete in particular do an excellent job they're not perfect. IMO it will be a sad day when they stop listening to the concerns and suggestions of board members.

For what it’s worth I think Pete handled the situation with Genesis well. He was certainly kinder than I would have been. But, I think it’s wrong to make threads disappear without explanation. I would rather that the threads at least have an explanation that the thread was pulled rather than simply disappearing. This is simply my suggestion on how the board could be improved. If you consider it whining … “whatever.” If you’re so concerned about what we should do, perhaps you should start you own board; wait a minute you’ve already done that.

Mike

NetDoc:
Well we could rename it www.Whineboard.com and then all this would fit. :D

But it IS www.Scubaboard.com so maybe that should be our focus.

And who said that I wanted the thread closed? Even Karl can post here... but he chooses not to. A self exile, I guess. BUT, if you wanted answers as to why, then hopefully you got some. If you wanted to vent, then hopefully you got that too. If you are expecting me to get upset that you simply disagree with me, then you obviously don't know me at all. I do apologise to Charlie99 for not banning him... I get the idea that he was hoping for that.

If anyone of you is upset with www.scubaboard.com then by all means, please go visit Karl at www.scubaforum.org . There are also some excellent forums over at www.thescubastop.com and www.thedecostop.com . If how we run this place brings you heartache or pain, than do yourself a favor and find a place more to your liking. There is no possible way that we are going to make everyone happy here, though we do try. Life is way too short to stay in a place that just makes you mad.

But then if the other places don't seem to give what you are looking for, then remember you are always welcome here. Really. We'll leave the porch light on for you just in case.

LOL

you used my quote, and then said

And who said that I wanted the thread closed?
So, I can't figure out who you are talking about, because the quote of mine that you used has nothing to do with closing the thread...It has to do with talking about diving....Go back a few posts and you will see two folks who want to talk about diving (you and Spectre) and one other who wants the thread to die (Lubold)....Yet the posts from the three aren't about diving....LOL

Quite humorous....

I do think some folks are a bit sensitive right now...some are mods, and some aren't.

But I am quite entertained, as one should be when using an internet resource.

Enjoy!

"Originally Posted by Spectre
So I humbly request you people SHUT THE HELL UP and go talk about diving. If you want to ***** about the big jackbooted ogres on scubaboard that get their thrills squashing the little people with their massive amounts of power... PM Genesis; I think he has his own forum setup for that sort of thing."

Isnt THAT a personal attack?
I think people here are forgetting the dynamics involved here. Regardless of who netdoc warned, he has an obligation here to moderate the postings. What I see as a problem is HOW he worded his warning to Genesis. "I dont care if this hurts your feelings or hurts your ego" or something to that effect- indicates that his words were MEANT to strike at his feelings. All he did was justify what he said,

I am suprised that this has caused so much controversy and discussion. Im new here but I do an incredible amount of reading and very few posts. I value everyones opinion but I make my own decisions.

I can understand how netdoc would defend his decision, especially after the heat he took for his actions. Its only natural to justify your position and defend your reasoning. but, as one who drafts and edits letters and directives all day, I observed the frustration in netdocs email. Unfortunately, I viewed it as netdocs frustration at not being able to control the situation and having to resort to this action. If you re-read some of the posts, you can identify some of the barbed comments, intended to be a dig. When I went through training as a Military Policeman some years ago and I took a course on testifying in court. We learned to only state Facts. Once you inject opinion, speculation or conjecture it becomes personal, even if you dont place a name on it. In addition to this, you also lose credability regarding your statements. Call a person a name just once or change your tone of voice and people will ALWAYS think your making it personal. You would be suprised how enraged you can make people, just by stating the facts clearly. Because people cannot dispute fact, opinions and personal attacks they can dismantle, usually with a retaliatory attack about their character, and so on and so on.

I have made the observation several times on this board that some people tend to take shots at others and make it personal because they lack the skills to properly articulate their feelings/thoughts. As a result, out of frustration or fear that their point will not be heard or understood, they make it a personal attack and, human nature being what it is......as soon as the wounded is identified- the wolves start circiling and await their chance to take a bite.

In closing, I think we need to put our personal feelings about Genisis aside and focus on the facts, which IMHO appear to be whether or not he violated the TOS. Not his interpretive views or past history. In the end, were all adults and we all get up every day hoping to make today better then yesterday for our family's and ourselves. Lets keep this issue in perspective....

OMG,

Pete, Please close this thread before there are casualties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom