Splits vs. paddles. Back to back comparison.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for a fair comparison. I really nice to hear this without the split fin bashing by those who just don't know how to dive with them. Obviously there is a place for both types.

NO SPLIT FINS ARE BAD YOU WILL DIE! :D :shocked2:

:rofl3:

I never knew what the debate really was, some people dive with Force fins :idk:

Some people dive with those long ass free diving fins :idk:

Some people dive with those hard rubber jet fins :idk:

I use Mares Quattro's :idk:

:idk: I guess you won't know until you try something :idk:

Aww man, so much civility. I was hoping for a "fresh" bloodbath in here.

Guess I'll go poke around in the DIR threads.

Nice to see some Memorial Day humor in this thread.

The OP did have a good post.

The split/paddle discussion continues.

I still have my Jets, Mares Plana and Avanti fins. I also have two pairs of the Apollo Prestige, and others.

What I use depends on the dive. I like the "feel" of my Prestige paddle fins, nice wide open scissor kick, good for the frog kick etc. For most of my local diving in Monterey Bay, The Channel Islands, or the North Coast, I like the bio-fin XT c-springs.

I guess that is why golf bags have more than one club.

You dive the north coast ? :shocked2:
Join us sometime.
www.northcoastdivers.org

Last edited by a moderator:
based on the op I may have to try flippers for a dive and leave my fins behind.

I haven't done a lot of research but I've found at least 4 pairs of splits in the 120-160 dollar range. Online I found Tusa Extreme Zoom X3 splits for $70.

i have been using the tusa zoom splits since 2006 i love them best pair of fins i have ever had

tusas cannot move a single kilo. you can fin in them for hours and you might move 1 meter :)

tried them once, unless you make 10-20 strikes per second you do not move much even in no current :)

Seems like the oldies/originals wont even glance at splits. My dive instructor(stone age), father, my fathers instruction staff(All 45+), and almost every old person I've seen diving(though not many) all have normal full fins.

Me(just bought a pair, whoo), and all my friends own splits. The neo-divers are slowly taking over.

I absolutely love my Mares for warm water, single tank dives. However, they don't work worth a darn when diving dry with doubles and slinging.

Having said that, my Turtles are horrible for diving warm, single tank dives.

I think it boils down to using the right tool for the right job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom