What was wrong with your worst equiped charter boat ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is only one beef that I have with dive boats. Entry onto the boat. I find it mind boggling that I can go overseas and dive on a do it yourself pontoon bathtub boat with a 1 cylinder engine and exit out of water safely, whereas here in the states I am less than 3 feet away from a spinning propeller, no handlebars and navigate myself on a rocking boat without a single place to hold on to.

Is it really that hard for usa boats to be equipped with 2 handlebars on the ladder and a rail system going from the back to the front of the boat?

There is only one beef that I have with dive boats. Entry onto the boat. I find it mind boggling that I can go overseas and dive on a do it yourself pontoon bathtub boat with a 1 cylinder engine and exit out of water safely, whereas here in the states I am less than 3 feet away from a spinning propeller, no handlebars and navigate myself on a rocking boat without a single place to hold on to.

Is it really that hard for usa boats to be equipped with 2 handlebars on the ladder and a rail system going from the back to the front of the boat?

I have never climbed up with engine running in the US.

Check Carolina boats. Most have two handle bars on the ladder and a down system as described (Carolina rig) where there is a bar under the boat in 15-12ft dept range from back to front of the boat and to the anchor line.

Only once have I ever felt unsafe on a charter boat. My first moment of unease was when we boarded and noticed that there were no tank racks aboard. The captain told us to just lay our gear on the deck at the rear of the boat. Nothing got secured. Heading out the weather turned so rough that all the gear was sliding back and forth, slamming into the sides of the boat. The captain persisted, even when waves were crashing over the bow and it took a concerted effort from the divers to talk him into turning around ... we may have been able to get off the boat in those conditions, but there was no way we'd have been able to get back on again. Then he took us to a more sheltered site ... in a location heavy with kelp and current ... and informed us that we'd have to backroll off the boat one at a time. First diver went over ... by the time his buddy was in position to go, there was about a hundred feet of bull kelp separating them. In the roll of waves and surge there was no way they'd find each other. When I asked the captain wasn't he going to help get the teams together, his reply was "they're off my boat, they're not my problem".

I was never so glad to get back to the dock. Never even considered using that charter again. Fortunately, he went out of business before he could manage to kill somebody ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dove on a boat that had a winch instead of a ladder. Winch takes your gear and slowly swings it over your head as you hang on to swim platform and wait to boost yourself up after slow, very slow winch gets your gear clear. Took 15 minutes to get 4 divers out of cold water (Lake Huron) during smooth seas.

If the charter uses the word "winch" you should run the other way. "Wench" is something entirely different :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Oh and a boat driver bringing his non diving fiance on a blokes only trip.

What exactly did you all have planned that a female ruined.

What exactly did you all have planned that a female ruined.

I was afraid to ask that same question:mooner:

Became taxing applying our look but don't touch skills both in and out of the water.

Became taxing applying our look-but-don't-touch skills both in and out of the water.

Here in the States we actually have a specialty class for honing this skill. The instructor is called a "wife".

Our worst was not equipment related to the charter, but rather how they ( and , in fairness, us ) operated during my OW cert dives in Cambodia. Dives 1-4. I guess all of us in my family learned things not to do. First 3 dives were great, actually the 4th was great also 'till we surfaced. 5 hrs offshore, my wife and youngest son had been told by the captain about the good snorkeling around a small island. They decided to go. This was during my ( and my oldest son's ) last cert dive. Just before we left the boat, we were told the boat had another diver that wanted to do a deep dive. They told us to do our shallow cert dive as well as the snorkel and they'd be back to get us, they'd be about 1 mile away. Duh ! OK ! They also told my wife and son that, if either of them got tired, just swim to the island and the boat would pick them up .

What actually happened was, my wife and son started snorkeling, and the 5 of us doing our certs descended about 10 minutes later in the same area. Upon surfacing after the dive, ( 'bout an hour later ) we see my wife and son totally exhausted on the surface with my wife starting to enter the panic mode. They had been in the water 'bout 70 minutes by then. I will add that my wife and son are both good, confident snorkelers, having done it many times in the past in various areas. Turns out, they had tried to get to the shore twice in different areas and couldn't due to the pounding surf and coral reef. My wife said they would have been torn to pieces.

After we surfaced, my wife hung onto me for a couple of minutes and then, the DM on our cert dives took off his vest, blew it up fully and let my wife and son hang on to it for the 25-30 minutes it took the boat to come back to get us. She also spent some time hanging onto the anchor line from a fishing boat that was nearby. She was livid to say the least. Total time from when the boat left to its return was at least 1 hr 30 to 1 hr 40 minutes, with the snorkelers in the water 10 minutes before departure.

What we learned was the obvoius. Mistake #1 ( ours ) If the boat is leaving ( which all of us knew ) don't get off the boat. We were fine in the scuba gear, but the snorkelers were not, to say the least. Mistake #2 ( not ours ) the captain and crew should have known about the coral and the extremely limited access to the island. Mistake #3 ( not ours ) Don't send out snorkelers, leave and come back in as much as 1 hr 40 minutes later. Not good. Mistake #4 ( ours ) We assumed they knew what they were doing.

In summary, our family learned. Main lesson is, if the boat is leaving and you are snorkeling, don't get off, no matter what they say. We had floatation gear with the scuba, we were fine, the snorkelers were not so equipped.

We had a charter a couple years ago that the captain didn't know where the dive sites were. (plus many other problems).

We had to read him the GPS numbers out of a Ned DeLoach book that I brought with me so he could find most of the dive sites...... Which I could understand if it wasn't the Florida Keys, which most all the sites have buoy's on them and are simple to find.

plus many other issues....

Needless to say, his charter operation went out of business. (imagine that).

Back
Top Bottom