Is the economy still affecting your vaca plans?

Is the economy still affecting your vacation destination decision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked the choice closest to my reason. Its not the price of airfare but the hassle of flying that turns me off. We have our annual vacation coming up in August and for the first time ever we have no plans. We did cruises the last 2 years instead of diving vacations though we did a couple dives in Bermuda in rented gear. Would have loved to dive in Alaska but all that exposure protection and small cabin don't mix.

We normally have our vacation planned and paid for by now. The money is just sitting in the vacation account. Neither of us wants to deal with the baggage hassle of a plane for a non diving trip, let alone a diving trip. The prospect of dealing with airport hassles kills my desire to leave home. The aggravation is not worth it to me.

We've been talking about a driving trip, maybe hitting the UP of Michigan and seeing some of the islands in that region. We aren't even sure about taking dive gear on that trip, too much stuff to pack plus you have to find dive boats going out during the week that can take 2 people. Yada,yada,yada...

Basically for me its not the economy fragging my vacations its probably my own apathy. Its just easier to stay home and go to work.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber - I totally get what you are saying about the hassles. We have so much camera/video gear that we always end up with several checked bags. We have had good luck, never lost a bag or delayed, but it is such a hassle.

But you don't have to leave the USA to do great diving!

You should think about going out to Calif, especially because you don't mind cold water. To me, it is as good as diving almost anywhere in the world and so inexpensive compared to most destinations! And for those people who say "I would love to go there if the water wasn't so cold.." Duh, that is why it is so great! Those fish and kelp won't survive in warm water, so you have to deal with the cold water in order to see them. Anyhow, you can do several days of diving, land-based or some of the rustic liveaboards, great food and great diving.

robin:D

We are doing more real vacations in the last two years than ever before. Since my wife became unemployed we have had the time.

BTW, this kind of poll will solicit a particular response but it is helpful to hear the stories.

Last edited:
We invaded a Catalina Scubaboard gathering a few years ago. The diving out there is great but its a long flight from Ohio and we have all the extra cold water diving baggage. Bleh.

We went in November so the water was still warm. Yea, Catalina is warm water in my book LOL!

...but our guests are saying something different.... let us know why or how it has affected your diving vacations.

The dive industry surveys are already telling us that, as well. The quarterly Cline Dive Industry Surveys are always posted here on SCUBABoard, and I hope that all resorts and industry providers take the time to respond to the questionaires as they are sent out.

Oil based, fuel intensive sports, such as boat based scuba diving, such as air travel paradise destinations (Bonaire and the rest of the Caribbean), are taking a very hard hit.

The media surveys you are citing are not specific to the dive industry traveller profile. The sector of people that go to WarmWaterPrettyFish destinations for SCUBA diving are being pinched on all counts.

The 9/11 downturn began with the loss of the "Young Mommy and Daddy's with kids that they left at home". That left the DINKs, the "singles" and the Old People. The DINKs have now disappeared from that economic strata of viability, mostly due to the fact that they have become SINKs or parents. The replacements are simply not there. There are very few young people who can afford to take unpaid time and spend lavishly. Especially when the lure of wild times and cheap booze in Mexican hotspots is much more inviting than a Caribbean island. How about a three day cruise for $350? How you going to compete with that?

We are losing the core, repeating base of the dive community. It is easy to say that vacationing divers are getting older... the facts bear that out. Industry figures show you that they are not being replaced. Handicapped accessibility has become a concern in the dive industry, and not really focused on ADA requirements which rarely apply anyway. It is also just as logical that these older divers are... dying off.

The discretionary dollar isn't so discretionary any more. It will not get any better due to the overall worldwide economy and the universal cost of goods. The Eighties are long gone.

The industry has reacted correctly, at least if you consider the "industry" to be DEMA. (Whether its member manufacturers, retailers and travel sector decide to follow the obvious path is a discretionary decision on their part~ and all are at the end of the oil pricing whipsaw... don't forget the Airlines.) DEMA has been banging the drum, with it's dog wagging tail of PADI and AquaLung for years. Marketing + Consumer Analysis = Power and Potential for Vision. You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Anyone who remembers the industry tag-line from the early 1980's, "Dive into Adventure" may stay after and clean the erasers.

At least in Bonaire, you have that Salt export thing and Green Beer. :wink:

Last edited:
We are doing more real vacations in the last two years than ever before. Since my wife was let go we have had the time.

BTW, this kind of poll will solicit a particular response but it is helpful to hear the stories.

Reef,

I didn't want the poll to be overwhelming, so I figured, as I did in my original posts to solicit other stories. Shoot, I live on Bonaire and haven't dived in over a year due to medical problems. Also, my "vacation" fund went to hospital costs for me, hotel, food, rental car costs etc, for hubby when I had to go to Curacao for surgery, so I definitely understand. We did go to NJ to see family, but that was a budget trip big time and was done because my husbands parents are in their late 80's and early 90's...so....

I picked the choice closest to my reason. Its not the price of airfare but the hassle of flying that turns me off. We have our annual vacation coming up in August and for the first time ever we have no plans. We did cruises the last 2 years instead of diving vacations though we did a couple dives in Bermuda in rented gear. Would have loved to dive in Alaska but all that exposure protection and small cabin don't mix.

We normally have our vacation planned and paid for by now. The money is just sitting in the vacation account. Neither of us wants to deal with the baggage hassle of a plane for a non diving trip, let alone a diving trip. The prospect of dealing with airport hassles kills my desire to leave home. The aggravation is not worth it to me.

We've been talking about a driving trip, maybe hitting the UP of Michigan and seeing some of the islands in that region. We aren't even sure about taking dive gear on that trip, too much stuff to pack plus you have to find dive boats going out during the week that can take 2 people. Yada,yada,yada...

Basically for me its not the economy fragging my vacations its probably my own apathy. Its just easier to stay home and go to work.

Are you sure that you are not my wife ?????
I have heard this exact rant just a few days ago :)

There still IS an economy out there somewhere? Wouldn't know it from the visitor counts here on the island. DVD sales have dropped to the lowest levels ever despite my having 20 titles available now.

Plans to travel to places like the Red Sea, Philippines, South America and Bonaire all on hold until my local bank builds up enough deposits to make robbing it worthwhile.

Good thing I live in a world class dive destination.

I think the slow down has as much to do with preceptions of the future as actual reality.

Divers might could afford that nicer vacation but the uncertainity of what the future may bring tends to have people circle the wagons and adopt a "let's wait and see" approach to spending!

They don't want to spend today if they are not sure if they will have a job tomorrow.

Last edited:
For me the biggest factor is the increase in the cost of flying. What that means is that I am going to take fewer but longer holidays and maximise the diving while I am at my destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom