need a good travel reg/setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be backpacking south east asia for 4 months. I will be doing my dive master as well (don't know where). I need something light and easy to pack. I plan to take all my gear carry on. Will replace all the hoses with miflex hoses. Also I will be dive a lot and in remote places so something that can go a while between servicing and can be serviced easily will be important. Lastly cost is always a factor :) would like to spend around $500.

So far I'm considering:
1. Apeks flight : seems ideal but the hoses are not easy to replace. and Cant seem to find too much info or anyone selling them.
2. HOG : cheap and great reviews. cons: prob no one there will know how to service them. also don't know how many dives i can go without servicing.
3. Hollis Dc2 212 : cheap and seems to get good reviews. Cons: no clue about servicing.
4. Apeks xtx 200: might just go all out and get something top of the line. might be too big and is pricey....
5. Apeks xtx 50: cheaper.

ANY info or insight is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Zeagle Flathead Lt, get two of the same 2nd stages and miflex hoses (as you said). This will give you great redundancy in the middle of nowhere and should one 2nd have problems, use the other and find a octo locally. It’s the insurance I carry, but I have an Octo-Z on my inflator so I can lose a 2nd stage and still be safe.

Aqualung Micra comes with miflex hoses and is basically a AL Legend in a smaller form, breathes real nice.

Why not just get the XTX20....in warm water there's no real advantage for the more expensive regs, plus it is lighter than the 50 and 200.
The HOG's a great reg but light it's not.

really an xtx20 is the same? the flat head is $600!

I am very interested looking for regs for my wife and myself

I have the same travel requirements, I bought the AquaLung Micron 1st and 2nd stages, with Miflex hoses, great set up.

My suggestion would be to do a little research into what reg you can get serviced in the areas you're likely to be in. That would seem to eliminate the Hog. Maybe something Aqualung or Scubapro. Are most Aqualung dealers also Apeks dealers?

If you decide to go "all out" look at an Atomic also. Assuming they have the dealer coverage, any of the Ti models are among the lightest out there. Several of their better models have at least a Ti 2nd. A few ounces lighter in the backpack might be worth it.

Could make the same case for the Scubapro MK25/S600 in Ti. But it seems bulkier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom