A great day at Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure Hunt: 2010, sponsored by Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The staff would like to thank all the vendors and participants of the 2010 Bonee Terre Mine Treasure Hunt, sponsored by ScubaBoard.com, We had a great time, we hope you did too and we look forward to seeing you June 4, 2011 for our fourth Treasure Hunt.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the great sponsors that donated to this years Bonne Terre Mine Treasure Dive!!!!!!! There was something there for every diver! They had everything from trips to Cayman Island to Hotsuit wetsuit heaters. Mares, Sealife, Pelican, were just some of the sponsors there. Doug and Steve along with the rest of the Bonne Terre Mine staff put on a excellent event. I'd like to say a special and huge THANKS to Ikelight for my new PCA led dive light that I won at the auction. I can't wait until June 4th 2011 so I can do it again!!!

I posted this in another thread but ...

My wife and I decided to spend our 17th wedding aniversary doing the Treasure Hunt dives at the mine. The event was outstanding. Considering the 120+ divers, the staff and volunteers did an exceptional job keeping the event moving along and at the end of the day, I believe the event was still on time.

The treasure dives themselves are alot of fun - a free-for-all trying to find as many chips as possible within the time limits. The water was a clear and balmy 58F (here is a hint for future divers - brave the cold and go without gloves as it is much faster to pick up chips). The bottom got stirred up a little during the hunt, but not bad.

In the end, my wife won a trip to Utopia Village in Utila Honduras. Based on internet research, it looks like the trip will really be great. We are already looking forward to next year's treasure dive.

Thanks for a great experience,

Greg and Brandy Anderson

This was the third year in a row for the event and I must say it just keeps getting better.
Silt wasn't nearly as bad as in years past, strange given the number of people turning rocks over *GRIN*

The staff did a fantastic job of keeping things safe and on schedule!
No small task when you consider 120+ divers X 4 dives!
For all the sponsers a BIG thank you!

While I failed to win anything, I did purchase a pair of ABS Mantaray fins which I got to test dive during the event.

This event is a fantastic opertunity for dives of all skill levels to get together in a unique environment and enjoy the sport.

Given that my wife doesn't dive I look forward to the conversations about diving throughout the day.

It was also good to see quite a few people stick around for normal trail dives on Sunday!
Be sure to join the fun next year!

To Greg and Brandy: Congrats on the trip and 17 years!

we took a ton of pictures and some video, check out to see if you made the edit... Just check out my picture gallery. Maybe I'll figure out how to make an album and add more great shots.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 131
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 157
This was my second year at the event and after learning some tricks from my first event last year I did well and ended up scoring 4th out of 120+ divers. This was enough to win an 8 day 7 night dive trip to the Maya Palms Resort in Mahahual Mexico. I have been doing some research and this place is awesome!!!! From the diving to the Mayan ruins I won't have a moment of free time to waste. Just wanted to say THANK YOU of course to West End Diving, who own not only the Bonne Terre Mine but also the Maya Palms Resort.

Honestly I had a hard time choosing which trip I wanted to bid for because there were so many great trips to choose from, from the Sea of Cortez, Bahamas, Hondorus, Bonaire, and the US Virgin Islands. Normally, being a hardcore diver, I would have chosen one of the liveaboard trips available, but this year I had to think of my wife. My wife and I have been married for 6 years and with 4 kids and the economy pressing on our finances we were never able to take a honeymoon.

I chose the Maya Palms because I knew that my non-diving wife and I could have a great time with the variety of activities available and enjoy a long awaited honeymoon trip. Let me say that my wife is ecstatic about the trip. Otherwise we just wouldn't be able to afford to go so thank you again.

For those who haven't attended the event before even if I hadn't won anything the contest would still have been a great time. This is due to the camaraderie and friendships that take place between fello divers. We all just have a great time while enjoying the sport that we all love. I highly recommend it for any and all divers. The contest brings us all together for a special event that just wouldn't happen without the fantastic donations from all the vendors. Thank you again to the many vendors!!!

I look forward to the event next year and hope I can visit the mine between now and then for some great dives. I am eager to reach the city trails.

Sincerely,

Mick Tabor

This was my second year to participate in the Treasure Hunt and it is truly an event I look forward to participating in again next year. The diver's this event attracts are really fun people to hang out with and the vendors were great.

The staff at Bonne Terre Mines do an amazing job of keeping this event on time while still making it a lot of fun. I know that many of the staff travel a good distance to help out with this event and so many worked late on Friday night and were back early on Saturday morning and even when they must be tired, and tired of telling us all the same thing over and over again, they keep a smile and a fun attitude, they really do a great job and so much thanks goes to those staff that most of us never learn their names.

I really appreciated the vendors, Sealife, Mares, Mantaray Fins, Grand Cayman's Sunset House, and so many others who donated both their time and the products and the trips...yeah! the trips I'll be going to Deep Blue Resort on Utila very soon. Can't name them all but the vendors really add to this event and it was really nice to learn about their products and services...one or two more arguments with the wife and I will own that Sealife DC1200 camera...she's weakening.

It was great to see some of the same people back again from the previous year, Mick from New Hampshire, Pacman, and to meet some new folks like the "spicy" red head and her daughter I dove and had dinner with this year, and so many other people I met that made this event fun. I heard it said many times over "it really doesn't matter if you win anything or not this event is just a great time." But win stuff we did...I doubt anyone left empty handed. Truly a great event again this year.

Kyle

Not only was this my first time visiting Bonne Terre Mines, it was also my first year diving in the Treasure Hunt. I couldn’t have been more pleased. First, I want to say thank you to all the Vendors of this year’s treasure hunt. From the manufacturers, it was great to see some of your great products. From the dive shops and resorts, it was great to learn about the accommodations you offer and the fascinating locations you serve. Without your generous donations, none of this would have been possible.

Also, I want to say thank you to the staff at the Mines. You put on a fun and exciting day, while keeping everything running smooth and structured.

The dives were a lot of fun. I got just enough of a taste of the mine to really want to head back and do the trails.

As for me, I was fortunate enough to win a trip donated by the folks at the Cane Bay Dive Shop in St. Croix USVI. I am thrilled to be able to join them in the beautiful waters off St. Croix. My plan is to visit next spring. When I do finally make the trip, I will post some pictures and story here on Scubaboard.

Thanks again for a fabulous event and I look forward to seeing you all next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom