Blue Water Diving: Got Any Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got any more PDFs like that? That one had a boatload of good ideas!
Diving Myths and Realities - Harris Taylor

Includes articles such as:

IS IT TIME TO ABOLISH THE 130 FSW DEPTH LIMIT?
Lee H. Somers, PhD

ABSTRACT
Recreational scuba diving instructional agencies in the United States have embraced the 130 FSW depth limit since the early days of modern scuba diving. Currently, the U.S. Navy and the American Academy of Underwater Sciences approves the use of compressed air scuba to depths of 190 FSW. It is common knowledge that thousands of recreational scuba divers exceed this depth limit annually, many diving to depths exceeding 200 FSW. The 130 FSW value has become as much of a depth goal as a depth limit. Propagating a fixed value also creates a liability factor for instructors, agencies, dive operators, and equipment manufacturers. Realistically, a diver's depth limit must be based on the diver's motivation, acceptance of responsibility, emotional status, health, fitness, training, experience, self-discipline, diving companion, environment, equipment, emergency ascent options, support vessel, underwater task, and geographic location, not a fixed numerical value. A properly trained diver will have the knowledge and self-discipline to determine his/her personal depth limitation for any given dive. For some recreational divers an appropriate limit will be 30 FSW in warm, clear water. For others it may be 190 feet in cold, dark waters. Prudent divers desiring to exceed 190 FSW will advance to the use of safer alternative gas mixtures. Abolition of the 130 FSW depth limit would require significant improvement in the quality of recreational diver education.

can anybody tell me how to insert photos into a post? I can't seem to figure it out.
If it is being hosted at Photobucket, say, just copy the URL from the "IMG code" that Photobucket creates.

If you want Scubaboard to host it, go to Photo Gallery>>My Photos>>Upload Photos>>Choose File and browse for the photo to upload it from a file on your computer. Once uploaded, click on the photo in your gallery. Copy the "Linked URL" from beneath it into your post and surround it with

Okay, Here we go. These are from Jim's gallery:

showfull.php

Last edited:
Nice pics, that is WAY more interesting than I expected. I'm going to have to do that one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the picasso site, right clicked on the photo, selected: copy image location, opened Insert Image on scubaboard, and pasted the image location in. Result:
IMG_8241A.jpg

That is what I keep doing. I don't know if YOU see a picture here: All I see is a little square with a red X in it. Maybe a setting on my computer???

060310BlueWaterDive

That is what I keep doing. I don't know if YOU see a picture here: All I see is a little square with a red X in it. Maybe a setting on my computer???

The square with the "x" means that the browser can't display the image.

It could be that your browser doesn't understand how to display this particular jpeg image (over the years they've used many different encoding schemes), or that you're running some sort of ad-blocking software or are using a proxy server that's blocking it because it thinks it's an ad.

Terry

I am still trying to figure this out - I can't see a picture on my post, just a little square with an x in it.

At any rate, you can also go here to see Jim's album:

Picasa Web Albums - Jim - 060310 Blue W...

I couldn't see the picture either. I just right clicked on it and chose 'Show Image in a New Tab', and that put me into your SB gallery where I can see all the pics.

Ok, I see the problem you are having.

You are putting the wrong URL into the image. Your url is to the gallery web page, but what you want is the url for just the picture file.

Use the quote button to reply to this message to see the difference between these links.

copied from your earlier message

linked directly to the image file
June_2010_diving.jpg

In the gallery near the bottom there is a section that says Linked Thumbnail (I don't know what that is really good for), click the little picture underneath that and some more links will appear. To post in the forum, copy the one labelled Medium Image.

BTW, I don't think that picasa will let you link images into other sites like SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom