Pee Valve vs Catheter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess I'm not explaining this right. The condom cath attaches to the actual catheter itself...the tube for the flow....medical exits in a holding tank of some kind, diving catheter attaches to the P valve, then out. The tubes shown look just like the exit tube for my setup. Not the kind put straight into the uninal track. 3/8th in. tubing or so.

Guess I'm not explaining this right. The condom cath attaches to the actual catheter itself...the tube for the flow....medical exits in a holding tank of some kind, diving catheter attaches to the P valve, then out. The tubes shown look just like the exit tube for my setup. Not the kind put straight into the uninal track. 3/8th in. tubing or so.

Sorry... now I am more confused...

Here is a p-valve + hose
p%20valve%20qd.jpg

Install this into your suit. It doesn't get replaced at all, neither the valve or the hose. You clean it out, and good to go again.

Then you stick this (the catheter) onto the white end of the p-valve (or if no quick disconnect, well I guess it gets threaded on somehow).
Condom_Catheter.jpg

This bit is replaced and not resuseable after a dive/dive day.

What bit are you wondering about?

Oh yeah even when my cat dives with me he uses the ones 2 sizes bigger ! :)

So you stuff your whole cat into a Rochester? Kitty dry suit with adhesive!:wink:

Forget everything you saw on the TV ad for Foley catheters. They are TOTALLY different than condom catheters.

The condom catheter is simply a "rubber" with glue inside and a place for a tube to attach at the tip. The drysuit has a "p" valve that runs through the suit, allowing urine to flow out of the suit. The valve is attached to condom catheter via a hose. The valve and hose stay with the suit (& need to be cleaned). The condom catheter, like the condom namesake, is a use once and toss device.

Timegam, look at the pictures Saspotato posted. That is what we are using to dive. The condoms shown are old school in the sense that they need to be taped on to "you" when worn. Newer catheters have an adhesive glue on the inner surface instead of the tape. Some hair trimming may be required so the glue/tape doesn't catch and you have to experiment with the hose routing a bit so the end of the condom doesn't kink.

Here is a p-valve + hose
p%20valve%20qd.jpg

To explain a bit further.

What you see on the bottom left of the picture is the fitting that goes through your drysuit (instructions come with the kit). There is a hollow hex bolt that you twist open to allow the urine to exit. Some divers open it when they need to go and some leave it open the whole dive.

Up the hose a bit you see a tee joint with a bit of hose jutting off to the left. That is the balancing chamber. This stops water from backflowing into the pee valve.

A bit further along the hose you come to two white pieces. This is the quick connect/disconnect adaptor. The condom attaches to the seperated section (if you look, it has a barbed fitting). This way you can put on your condom with the barbed fitting attached, suit up, and then snap the condom portion into the pee valve assembly.

A Brazillian hot wax every week makes the catheter removal much simpler. :wink:

Hi timegan,
correct me if I'm wrong, but are you asking why the hose on the pee valve doesn't get replaced, like the connecting tube and drainage bag used by patients with bladder problems?

A Brazillian hot wax every week makes the catheter removal much simpler. :wink:

Depends on the Brazilian doing the waxing. In some cases one might not even want to go diving...

BTW, I spent some time at the Tacoma show talking to a rep about she valves and how they are attached and now I'm trying to figure out how to get my wife to take up diving so she has to use one too. That's all I'm gonna say about that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom