Oriskany ("O" Boat) update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She is going home if sunk at P-cola site. That is just right IMO, regardless of length of boat ride or tourism potential.

I for one would gladly travel to P-cola and take the required boat ride to dive her. Definately looking forward to it!

I've been hearing that the Oriskany's more likely to be sunk off Corpus Christi, as now no one wants to risk towing the ship out into the Gulf. Funny how this little factoid wasn't put into consideration until AFTER the boat had already been towed to Corpus for cleaning.

MARAD seems to have run into a mort of political trouble with this, as the final site was supposed to have been selected over a month ago.

Politics..... it wouldn't surprise me if the folks over there gerrymandered the thing.

Nothing surprises me in this arena, to be honest. Of course it wasn't so bad to tow her over to Corpus to clean her, right?

Yep....

Genesis:
Politics..... it wouldn't surprise me if the folks over there gerrymandered the thing.

Nothing surprises me in this arena, to be honest. Of course it wasn't so bad to tow her over to Corpus to clean her, right?

Yep....

She was towed from a port here in my hometown. We are about equidistant between Corpus and Pensacola. After the clean up is complete, she will have to travel roughly twice as far to get to Pensacola as she did to get to Corpus.

Personally, I'm still hoping for Pensacola...

So as of right now, they still have'nt settled on a resting place yet ? I was hoping to dive on her before I head north in Apr., but it's not looking to promising.

The reason no one whined about towing the ship the first time, was because nothing drastic or expensive had been done to the hull yet. If it sunk along the way, too bad.

But after it's spent time (and lots of money) in the yards, the "vested interest" becomes much greater. I doubt the ship itself is any less seaworthy, just people are less inclined to risk it.

It's also being argued that this is an atypical situation, due to the Oriskany's size. This is the biggest ship in MARAD's inventory to junk. The other ship's are not anticipated to have nearly so much towing concern, as they are considered less valuable and more easily "towable".

Funny thing is, before I heard about this a couple weeks back, I had read how some admiral in Pensacola was moving political heaven and earth to make sure the Oriskany went THERE. This ship is one big teeter totter between the eastern and western Gulf of Mexico. It'd be ironic if the Oriskany ended up going to the Atlantic where those other states submitted a joint bid. Forget which states (Georgia and South Carolina I think).

If it goes to SC it'll be worthless as a dive destination.

That site, if I have the location right, is five hundred feet deep.

CDNN has posted a nice new article. There's three Forrestal-class carriers in the pot now, woohoo. Texas has an ace in the hole with all it's ship-scrapping facilities.

http://www.cdnn.info/industry/i040229/i040229.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom