Depth of Deep Diving (15 year old) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lewyafc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am 15 years old and I am going to Sharm El Sheikh in July. While there, I intend on taking the Advanced Open Water Diver Course, and I am wanting to know- How deep will they take me during the ''Deep Dive'' part of the course?

Please help me :)

at least 60 but not likely more than 90.

ok thanks, when i did my Discover Scuba Diving in the Dominican Republic they STUPIDLY took me to a depth of 61 feet! I didnt actually realise the dangers of diving to that sort of depths without proper training... Do you think that because of my age, during the AOWD course, they will not take me as deep as say, a 30 year old? However, I am now classed as an adult diver, as the age for Junior Divers is 10-14... :S

if you don't have an idiot for an instructor he will take you to 30m only if he is confident you can do it.

30m is supposed to be the limit for rec. divers in Egypt (i think i read this while i was there...)

As a guide, the PADI Deep Dive course requires four deep dives which is between 60' to a max of 130'.

You will be required to ascend and descend on a line or other visual reference.You will be asked to note color changes and note the pressure differences on an object such as a tennis ball. Carry out a simple navigation task. Perform your 3 min stop and later an 8 min safety stop.

I don't believe age will make any difference.

You will enjoy it!

If you are a PADI diver the deep dive as part of the advanced is between 18 to 30 meters depending on the conditions, current, viz etc. If you are not happy to go to.. say 28 meters tell your instructor exactly that and he/she SHOULD keep you at a depth you are comfortable with whilst also looking out for signs of Narcosis especially if you are using a 21% fill.
Out of interest who are you diving with in Sharm, there is some fantastic dive sites there, you will love it.

You'll be trained as an adult, but since this course is supposedly your first time going deeper that the open water limit, your instructor may want to keep it shallower than 100ft, but this also may depend on how well you dive (or how the instructor sees you).

At your age, you can take the deep dive specialty which will expand your depth limits to 130ft, and you also qualify for the Nitrox course.

Take your time, absorb all you can and enjoy your dive.
Good luck with your course :wink:

Kaza

Finbob, I believe it was advanced Open Water as opposed to the Speciality course which you rightly described above.
At 15 Junior becomes Adult with PADI, that doesn't mean you automatically have to start diving to 21 metres +, most of the best diving is at depths shallower than that plus obviously longer bottom times.

As a guide, the PADI Deep Dive course requires four deep dives which is between 60' to a max of 130'.
Only if you're doing the Deep Diver Specialty. The OP is doing their AOW. Max depth is 100'

@northern sole, I am going to be diving with Camel Dive Club, mainly because of recommendations from instructor's in my local dive centre :)

Back
Top Bottom