Dive Report Va Beach: Wreck Monroe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wil

Contributor
Reaction score
Had an absolutely great day diving on the Monroe off the Eastern Shore (Wachapreague, VA). For once the NOAA forecast was right; 2ft swells from the South, winds 10kts.

Along for the diving was Joe (Dive Quarters), Kevin (Kevin K), Stan and Jo-Jo. We made the 70nm trip in just about 2 hrs cruising comfortably at 34kts and 37kts on the homeward bound leg.

Monroe was a passenger-freighter lost in a collision and later demolished. The debris field cover a large area and retains significant relief. The vessel rests in 94fsw. Each of the divers made two 45 min dives exploring the wreck. Joe had a chance to make a third dive while successfully recovering someone's lost dive knife.

Visibility was 15 ft, surface water temp at 66deg, and bottom temp of 54deg. No current. No strange lime-green algae bloom either (seen on a previous dive near the Triangle wrecks)

We're eating lobster and flounder tonight....

Safe Diving,
Wil

Sounds like a great time Will, I know Joe was glad to finally get into the water.

We had an unscheduled trip to Hatteras this weekend, was fun, had some great dives, Sunday we had bottom temps in the lower 70s & over 70 ft of vis.

Thanks for another fine day of Freedom diving Skipper!! Hope you enjoyed the fresh seafood dinner. Look forward to the next trip.

Kevin,

The lobsters were tasty! We'll need to head out to the last few wrecks we've visited and cash in on the one's that got a way....

This weekend isn't real good, I can't do Saturday. Sunday maybe, weather permitting.

Wil

Is the bath tub still there?
Eric

Will,
Not a good weekend for me either. No worries. We have all summer.

Back
Top Bottom