Looking for the best diving locations in Europe - Hints are welcome :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going here this summer and understand that it is terrific!

Area Marina Protetta Portofino

I'm not European and have not actually been here, it was recommended by a friend in Milan. I'll be staying across from Portofino in Moneglia.

To quote the Italian Ministry for the Environment:
There are 23 Marine Protected Areas plus 2 underwater Parks (Baiae and Gaiola, both near Naples) that protect a total of about 200,432 million hectares of sea and over 700 kilometers of coastline. Each area is divided into three types of zones with different degrees of protection. They consist of marine environments which have a significant interest regarding their natural characteristics (geomorphological, physical, biochemical and particularly their flora and fauna) and are of scientific, ecological, cultural, economic and (in the case of Baiae and Gaiola) archaeological importance...

I haven't visited all 23 but those I have visited were wonderful!

What about Greece. Plenty of clear water, with Wrecks, caves and plenty of sea life...

fantastic diving in PORTOFINO MARINE PARK. most famous dive there in med. Christ of the Abyss. marine life abundant due to No FIshing allowed! has been protected since 1998. i have a small dc there and can highly recommend the diving. more than 20 dive sites 10 minutes away from port.
"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" Jacques Cousteau

It's like asking "looking for a great crater on the moon?".... You should narrow your choices a little... Europe is too big for this type of question

best diving in the Mediterranean is in Portofino Protected Marine Park. Biologists from all over the world travel there every year. Abundance of marine life, walls of red corals, violet gorgonian, margherita del mare - big grouper, barracuda, moonfish, scorpion fish, nudibranche..and The Christ of the Abyss - giant submerged statue. more than 20 dive sites 15 minutes from the port. Weather is lovely from April to end October. Dive with DWS Diving - fluent English spoken and help with accommodation
ryan air/easy jet fly to Genoa (45 mins) Piasa (90mins) and Milan (2 hrs) cheap train connections to Santa Margherita x
hope that helps! x

probably a bit late for you but two spots I would suggest are Gozo (sister island to Malta) off the tip of Sicily in the eastern med. Great diving, good dive schools, excellent weather and stunning vis. Or Estartit in Spain at the other end of the med. Vis isn't quite so good but much of the diving is around the Medes islands which has been a protected marine reserve for 15 or 20 years and the marine life is very abundant.
UK diving is also excellent but tends to be cold, most people use a drysuit which, whilst not difficult adds to the learning curve.
Happy to answer any questions.

For a European location with year round diving try Safari diving in Lanzarote. Right on the beach offering shore and boat dives daily. The centre is only a few metres from the sea and many of the best diving sites on the island.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom