Smallest fish you can spear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, looking to get into spearfishing here in Michigan. Most of my diving will be in inland lakes that don't have much of a population of large fish only small bluegills, crappie and possibly some pike and bass. I was just wondering what the smallest fish you are able to spear is, don't really want to waste my time and money if I won't even be able to spear anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all:D

First check your local regulations as many "sport" species are not spearable in many jurisdictions due to dark age regs. As an example ANY spearing in FL fresh water used to be highly discouraged, and may still be. Other states consider spear fishing the same as worm drowning.

IF it's edible, and legal, go for it. I've taken bluegill and catfish with a pole spear back in the dark ages. The minimum size on them is generally what you are willing to clean.

In FL, you can't even possess spearfishing gear on your boat in fresh water. Even if it's disassembled & stowed where it can't be readily accessed.

I will make sure to check the regs first... does anyone have any advice for someone starting out not knowing a thing about spearfishing? The area where I live there is no club or locals I can talk to. I would really appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks

Here in WA, the smallest fish that I spear are perch. They're mediocre table fare, but they're plentiful, in season year round, easy to clean and cook, and they're fun to hunt. I find they're also somewhat challenging since the big ones keep their distance and don't sit still.

hear ya there. 1 lbs or so is the average nice perch in my area. Got one last year that almost broke the provincial record. Missed it by a couple ounces.

you can get 15 per person in my area here. So we get 10 or so each and then have a big old fry on the beach.

brown trout are great fun to and to date are the most challenging to get

hear ya there. 1 lbs or so is the average nice perch in my area. Got one last year that almost broke the provincial record. Missed it by a couple ounces.

you can get 15 per person in my area here. So we get 10 or so each and then have a big old fry on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom