Croatia in September... Tips and advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today we made some decisions and finaly got arount to making a reservation.
After lots of online searches we abandoned the idea of Krk and Split and landed on Korcula Island.
We will be using Croatia divers as dive op and will be staying at hotel Posejdon.
Will let you all know how the trip turns out.
Any tips are still welcome for future trips or other people trying to do some research. Croatia is not an easy destination to research :)

Should you plan to go nearby Split, actually to the island Brac, 45 mins by car ferry from the mainland, I can reccomend the center Big Blue Diving Bol, Big Blue Diving, Bol, Croatia

I just spend a week with them, and they are very hospitable & professional (owner and main person is from the north part of the coast which explains it :wink:), and the locations they can take you on are nice.

A video made on one such location, simple but effective looking dive. :wink:
YouTube - There's a hole in the Earth right now...

So we're finally leaving on sunday.
Now, what do we pack or not.
we dive a 7mm wetsuit with a 5mm shorty (with attached hood) on top of it.
Do you think we need the shorty as well? What is the water temp. these days?

I was there two weeks ago, I did a shorty but A) I'm Canadian as such used to much colder waters B) I'm overweight so more insulation haha.

Water temp was cool in the shorty, I would've been probably more comfortable in a longsuit.

I was diving near Makarska in a town called Tucepi. Ill be there again this Thursday till Tuesday for more diving, but will wear a longsuit most likely.

I was there 2 years ago in early September and recorded temperatures between 19 and 23 degrees between 20 and 40 metres. We also had some quite steep thermoclines. Hopefully you are taking a buddy. If not keep an eye out as most of the divers I had as buddies weren't too concerned with buddy checks or diving as a pair. Have fun though it's a beautiful country.

Sorry to missed your post and question.
Hope that it want happen again.
Diving in south of Croatia, Split, Dubrovnik, island Vis, Brac youll get better visibiliti.
More sealife.
Im here for questions on where what and if needed make contacts just drop me msg.

Im just owd with no club nor diveshope connections but a can always try to help out with plans.

Enjoy it,
Marko

Sorry for the late reply, but if you don't mind I'll share my experiences too.

I was scuba diving in Croatia for a week in the end of September this year. My girlfriend and I went to the island Rab and we staied in a small town called Lopar. Since it's really small it only has one dive center, so we didn't have much choice, but I don't regret not even for a second choosing Moby Dick diving center ( www mobydick-diving com ). It's owned by this really nice couple Mladen and Sandra. We where diving 5 days, made 10 dives and not even once on the same location. Mladen took us to verious locations around island Rab (like island Goli, Grgur, Prvič...) by his boat.
We dived with 5mm and 6,5mm weat suits and I can say it wasn't too cold.
Also we had a huge luck with the weather since it was raining for a week before we got there, then it was sunny and warm the whole week, water got warmer then 20°C and about 15°C on 25m, and then on the last day it weather took a turn to worse and after we left there was another week of rain :)

Last weekend we had an ending of Nitrox course and we ended it with a diving day in Kostrena (near Rijeka). We only made 2 dives but they were really nice, beautiful location full of marine life. Water had 15°C on top and 20°C on about 35m. ( www dckostrena hr )

And one more usefull thing for all of you who are considering going to Croatia to do some diving. Here is a link with 116 most beautiful diving locations in Croatia also listed all diving centers in the country, a map with locations and the discriptions of the locatons: www ronjenjehrvatska com/en/

PS: Since I'm new on this forum I'm not allowed to post links just yet, so wherever you see links divided into 3 parts just puzzle them together :wink:

I will certainly post a trip report.
But I'm still hoping somebody can give me some advise before I'm leaving :)

Hi Adaveke,

So, it sounds like you went in September, how was it? I am also looking at the same spot you said you were going to, Croatia Divers on Korkula.

Would really love to hear about your trip, please.

Hi Adaveke,

So, it sounds like you went in September, how was it? I am also looking at the same spot you said you were going to, Croatia Divers on Korkula.

Would really love to hear about your trip, please.

Hi,

that's right we went in September.
My husband informs me that the diving was fun (be it a bit more on the cold side than that we are used to on other destinations) with lots of sea life and the staff is very friendly and professional. I myself had a serious cold that week and had to forgo all the diving :(

luckily the Island itself is a very laid back and beautiful place. So I could entertain myself by walking the hills and the town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom