Dry Suit Problem what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard this can be a problem with the Weezle.

I've heard it too ... but as someone who dives a Weezle I've never experienced it. Neither have any of my dive buddies who dive a Weezle.

Maybe we're all just lucky ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Attach a piece of upholstery vinyl to the undergarment large enough so as not to be affected by movement, temporarily first, then?

My experience with my weezle is air migrates very slowly through the suit, my TLS is custom cut and pretty tight with the Weezle on. I find I have to work extremly proactively to stay ahead of the suit, especially the last bit of air. My exhaust valve is on my forearm, so I can see it vent, and it's very slow venting.

My dive buddy even went so far as to use a hot nail to make holes in the outer layer of his weezle near the valve to make it easier to vent and I'm considering doing the same.
I've also added a couple of pounds of lead to reduce the effects of the slow migration of the last of the air.

I'm still 50/50 on whether I like my Weezle, I like the fact I stay warm, but it's more work than I would like managing ascents. I'll dive it one more time in the next week or so, and if I still don't like the way the air is migrating with the extra weight, I'll take a hot nail to it.

The valve was completely open.

The dive leader started to turn it even more and she managed to block it such you couldn't close it anymore but I could see the valve is working properly on the surface (the air could exit once I was on the surface and when I put lots of air in the suit). Today I went to repair this and fortunately it could be done without too much hustle.

If I get it right, the tissue entered every hole in the valve (there are holes on the bottom and on the side of the valve) and thus the air couldn't escape. If I put some harder material (like plastic or tape or whatever) it is impossible that the holes are closed and thus air can exit. Did I get it right or not?

The guy in the store (that I don't trust a lot, he always tries to sell something, wanted me to put some kind of holes ... this might but might also not be the solution ... if the holes are next to valve it's useless. Again is my understanding of the problem correct or I'm missing something.

My idea is just to stich correctly some kind of soft plastic sheet at the place around valve ... is this right or completely stupid?

Or has the air entered my undergarment (air couldn't escape undergarment?). But usually what can't exit easily can't enter neither ...

I'm thankful for your comments.

Ivan

In your case it could have been a stuck valve, just as easilly as the undergarment, filling the suit with air in the surface could have been enough to unstick it.

As to the Weezle, IMO the Weezle likes to take on air, which is why they are so warm, but the air doesn't like to come out of the shell layer.
So either you accept the fact that when you're diving you will have more air in the suit, and as a result carry extra weight because it's trapped in the undergarment. Or you find a way to get the air out on ascent.
The idea of burning holes in it is to give the air an easier way out. As I said it was my dive buddies solution.
Personally I have about 5 dives on mine, and I'm going to try adding some weight to offset the extra air in the undergarment before I doanything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom