Member's Photo Gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks peeps. cdiver2, as you might have been able to tell already the bee-eaters is not a great picture. It was very early morning and the sun had not yet broken. Consequently I had to settle for a 1/100 shutter while at full open aperture (F/5.6). Combined with the fact that the picture was taken at 300mm focal length and handheld. Oh, and one more excuse is that I don't have a particularly good lens.

I suppose a better photographer than me would have known to sacrifice another stop or two by decreasing the shutter speed some more and also upped the ISO to 800 (mine was already on 400) - before the moment was gone.

Here is a full crop. I've resized it by 80% just so the pic is not too big for the screen.
2010-05-05_07-18-40.jpg

Pity that would have been a great shot. I have done the same thing, see a shot and don't think to lower the speed or up the iso, just get the shot before it disappears.
That's what happened with the Woodpecker feeding the young un but if I had taken the time to make changes I would not have got it. I did make the changes after but all other feedings were where the parent had its head in the hole.

Going out on foot is a must, it gives you a much better understanding of the bush and the animals that surround you.
The first time you are one on one with a wild and very large animal, camera shake has a whole new meaning.
My nemisis was Cape Buffalo, ugly beasts but they command respect.

African Elephant (Loxodonta africana). This was the first time I've encountered an Elephant while on foot. Usually I'm in a car and while this one was fairly docile you feel kind of vulnerable looking up to a 6 tonne colossus that's three times your height.
29390_416955004253_536534253_5253319_7921420_n.jpg

The first time you are one on one with a wild and very large animal, camera shake has a whole new meaning.
My nemisis was Cape Buffalo, ugly beasts but they command respect.

LOL, this is by no means my first encounter on foot with wildlife but certainly with African Elephant. And Buffalo is a beast you don't want to be on the wrong side of, they are fierce. I once found myself in a dry ravine when the earth beneath my feet literally started trembling. Turns out there was a stampede of Buffalo barreling down the ravine towards me. I made it out the steep slope just in time to see the heard turning the spot I had been standing on seconds ago to dust.

On another occasion a friend and I got chased into two separate trees by a very upset Black Rhino. We had to stay put there for close on an hour before the Rhino satisfied herself that we were "gone".

LOL, this is by no means my first encounter on foot with wildlife but certainly with African Elephant. And Buffalo is a beast you don't want to be on the wrong side of, they are fierce. I once found myself in a dry ravine when the earth beneath my feet literally started trembling. Turns out there was a stampede of Buffalo barreling down the ravine towards me. I made it out the steep slope just in time to see the heard turning the spot I had been standing on seconds ago to dust.
Good thing you hadn't recently drank or you would not have made it out of the ravine--that's what killed Shere Khan. Presumably Mowgli wasn't driving the buffalo towards you either, but you never know.:wink:

Really nice pictures you posted; the bee-eaters would have been my favorite if it was a little sharper, but nevertheless nicely composed and quite cool.

Back
Top Bottom