diving in Jamaica (mobay)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoopaint

Registered
Reaction score
A little out of my element. I am in Montego Bay, looking for reccomended dive operaters that would take me to a dive site and bring me back to the resort. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Hey Zoopaint
There's several dive operator in that area. A little more info would be helpful. Are in Negril? Nothing at the resort you're at?
I've only dove Jamaica once and used Scuba Caribe, I think they have a few shops, but they had a shop at the resort.

Cheers,

GeneV

well, Negril is about an hour and a half from where we are. We are willing to travel the distance to Negril, but was hoping to find something in montego bay. There are dive charters from the resort, but they did not interest us.

Zoopaint,
I dove last year with Dressel Divers out of the Iberostar Rose Hall resort. The diving wasn't the greatest (mostly small fish), but the DMs and boat captains were awesome. Wife and I dove together in the morning, and then I went back solo in the afternoons and usually ended up buddied with a DM. They were very friendly, safe, and when they didn't have to tend to a large group, (there were usually multiple DMs on the boat) the DM and I would be first in the water and last out. Single tank dives, but all 5-10 minutes from the dock.
-Jim

I just dove with Scuba Caribe (April 10-20, 2010). They are located on the grounds of the Grand Palladium Resort (Lady Hamilton side, i.e., the west side of the resort). The people were very friendly (except for the lady that takes care of the paperwork, who is just barely courteous). Kevin and Andre were the divemasters, and Ryan Edward was the PADI instructor. The cost of a recreational dive was $43 and this included the rental of all equipment. Some people told me this was very resonable. The BCD's were Scuba-Pro Classic in excellent working order. The regulators had alternate air sources, SPG'S, and depth gauges. We went down to 60' with excellent visability. Lion fish, and Southern Sting Ray were seen. You can reach ScubCaribe by going to ScubaCaribe.com, and then contact them by their email. It is a bit of a hike (.25 miles ?) from parking area at the hotel to the dive shop, and I don't think you have to be a guest at the Palladium, but I'm sure they would respond to you email query. They were responsive to me before I went down. Good luck!

Zoopaint,
I dove last year with Dressel Divers out of the Iberostar Rose Hall resort. The diving wasn't the greatest (mostly small fish), but the DMs and boat captains were awesome. Wife and I dove together in the morning, and then I went back solo in the afternoons and usually ended up buddied with a DM. They were very friendly, safe, and when they didn't have to tend to a large group, (there were usually multiple DMs on the boat) the DM and I would be first in the water and last out. Single tank dives, but all 5-10 minutes from the dock.
-Jim

We R going this Monday. Any suggestion on which spots to dive on with Dresels? THX

Go for their deeper dives. The reefs are pretty dead in Jamaica (at least they are around Montego Bay), but the sea life was better deeper down.

we are heading to MoBay and Whitehouse this Saturday. Any worries with the troubles over in Kingston?

The western side and resort areas appear to be pretty much normal. Even Kingston was relatively quiet today, with the security forces seeming to be on top of the situation.

You should be unaffected......have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom