Need a dive buddy for Gilboa 5/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to get some practice on the deep side of the Quarry. Have new light and pony that I'd like to play with and just cruise around the deep section, around 100' would be great.
I need the deep experience as I'm wanting to get some diving in Lake Erie, but would prefer some dives in Quarry to work on skill sets.

I'm planning on getting there around 10ish, as I have a 3.5 hour drive.

Appreciate any offers.

Thanks.

Jay
Western PA
724-815-8746

PS. I have AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Drysuit, so I'm not a complete rookie, have about 46 dives.

Don't take this wrong, but with your limited experience, Mike may not approve you diving the deep side. AOW means little to nothing, as you can have that with less than 15 dives. 46 still isn't a lot, and Mike is pretty demanding on his approvals for dive plans on the deep side. Have you ever even dove Gilboa before in those 46?

I won't be there on the 29th, otherwise I might be willing to help you experience the shallow side of Gilboa.

I've seen people much more experienced and qualified than you get into trouble at Gilboa, to include Master Divers, and an instructor.

Ken

I'd like to get some practice on the deep side of the Quarry. Have new light and pony that I'd like to play with and just cruise around the deep section, around 100' would be great.
I need the deep experience as I'm wanting to get some diving in Lake Erie, but would prefer some dives in Quarry to work on skill sets.

I'm planning on getting there around 10ish, as I have a 3.5 hour drive.

Appreciate any offers.

Thanks.

Jay
Western PA
724-815-8746

PS. I have AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Drysuit, so I'm not a complete rookie, have about 46 dives.

Ken; No offense taken and I don't disagree with what you've said. I've been to Gilboa couple times, was on the 70" platform for my AOW, most of the those dives have been in warm water and I agree the cold dark water is way different, but I got to get some experience, as I'm wanting to get into lake erie and I'll be diving North Carolina next month. I'll probably hang out at the Tubes practicing skills, or if I get one of my dive instructors to go, he'll take me down no problem. I'd even be willing to pay a qualified Dive Instructor to work on some deep skills, no problem. Agree about the 46 dives as being not very many. Thanks for the offer to help, maybe next time.
Have a great weekend, I'll be at White Star.

I might be willing to head out with you that weekend. I don't really have any other plans right now. I am an instructor with cold water experience (a dozen or so dives in Erie to max depth of 160 feet on helitrox, and have my ice certification). Actually doing an AOW course this weekend at Mt Storm. Will be taking the student to 90-100 feet. I myself have in the neighborhood of 100 dives beyond 100 feet. 40 of those between 100 and 130. Freshwater and Saltwater. What kind of vehicle do ya got and is there room for two sets of doubles and a 40 stage? I'd be willing to split gas. If you do want some formal instruction I can cut you a very good deal in exchange for driving. Shoot me a PM or call me tomorrow night.

My dive buddy and me wanted to try the deep side at Gilboa. Mike checked our dive log and wanted us to have more dive time in the cold by the tubes. I think he is right, still using a wet suit kind of chilly! Someday

Back
Top Bottom