Want to buy tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CROCDIVER2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hallo,

I am after some help i want to buy OMS gear or other tech gear. I am wondering were i can get it in Philippines. Also i wonder if i buy online what is involved with gtting it into Philippines in regards to customs.

I am on Luzon, in Pampanga. I am thinking OMS mainly i like their gear and used some in the past. But i am open to other brands. I have looked going home to Oz to get gear but i am hoping to get it cheaper here or get it staight from USA that why i am also interested in what is involved cost wise with customs etc.

Don't know about Philippine customs, in Australia in my experience anything under the value of $1000 will go straight through with no duty

But buying retail here in Australia will cost you heaps more than buying online. I buy a few things from my LDS, if it's something I want to try before I buy but otherwise I get it online and pay anything from 30-50% less even including shipping

Being near Manila I would think you'll have no problems getting stuff shipped direct from the US, customs may be a different story

I have mostly OMS, Halcyon and Apeks gear, it's all good, although OMS customer service/support leaves something to be desired. I'd check to see if you can get local support/spares

You didn't say what it is that you want to buy

OMS dealer here in PH is Nautilus (Welcome to Nautilus). they also have poseidon and apeks. i bought all my OMS gear from them. i think prices are pretty fair too. worth checking out.

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like to much trouble to buy and import it myself to Philippines. It looks like that it will be cheaper for me to get it sent back home to Oz and fly back and bring it over on plane. Thanks i knew about the $1000 limit for imports to Oz. I will look now into if it is better to get it all in one package or get multi to keep it under the $1000 mark:wink:. I am looking at getting new harness, wing, light and other bits and pieces. I looked on OMS shop website and total was $1800US. So now i guess i will look at cost for one package compare to 2 to 3 package with postage and customs. Thanks again for your information:D

I have ordered a bit of stuff from Leisurepro in New York, they'll split it into 2 or more packages according to price if you ask them and the shipping will cost more than if it was one package but less than paying duty

OMScloseouts.com (official OMS outlet site) have some good prices but they won't ship to Australia, they tell you to contact the Australian distributor - I did and they never answered my e-mail, so I got it shipped from OMScloseouts to a friend of mine in California who forwarded it to me

But I had dramas (like I said, OMS customer service isn't great) and you need to have a friend in the US so I don't know that I would recommend that anyway

In my experience the prices in the PI are pretty reasonable, if you're making a big order like that you might be able to get a discount too, so I wouldn't discount that option if you can find what you want locally

If you want to talk details on gear feel free to send me a PM

I'd certainly recommend taking a look at Divers Network in Quezon City, Manila.

The shop is set-up with a big emphasis on tech equipment and they can provide a lot of custom gear which for me is as good if not better than some of the big brands :wink: The website is diveph . c o m

Regarding OMS I'd recommend taking a good look at the new OMS gear first, OMS did indeed produce a great line of gear, but their new lines have degraded quite a bit and the brand has dropped behind a lot of others in the market.....

My recommendations on the wing would be Dive Rite or Halcyon if you're looking for a twin set-up?

Alternatively have you thought about trying out side-mount?

Back
Top Bottom