question about slinging a stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im sure I just need to get used to it. However after reading some stuff from the rebreather crowed about sidemounting bailouts that seems to be a really good alternative that looks super streamlined. Any thoughts?

Do the guys who sidemount have to deal with this?

Bungee keeps tanks nice and tight for sidemount.

A few people have adopted this for a stage, and here's a discussion: A Stage Bungee

For single non-dropped stages, this might be a fix. But once you go beyond that specific use case, the practicality and additional work required is not worth it to me.

Sometimes, a diver will have the correct mechanics, but the stroke amplitude is too wide. Try changing your amplitude. Fin using modified flutter and modified frog. You really shouldn't feel the bottle sway when employing those kicks. Next, change your modified frog amplitude wider and wider. You'll find a sweet spot where the modified frog kick and the frog kick become gray areas of definition. You should feel the power and glide of the frog kick while feeling more fluid. Chances are this will be your optimal frog kick amplitude.

VERY interesting, Trace! I suspect that as people carry stages more and more often, they probably unconsciously find this sweet spot. But maybe I can shorten the process by giving it some conscious thought.

Thanks for the link AE , Im headed to the parts store right now to make something like this.
Picture1.png

It seems like the best of both worlds, the security of a hard mount while keeping the bungee of a sidemount.

I will let yall know how it goes.

Thanks for the link AE , Im headed to the parts store right now to make something like this.
Picture1.png

It seems like the best of both worlds, the security of a hard mount while keeping the bungee of a sidemount.

I wouldn't advise that. Metal to metal connections are generally not a good idea - you can't cut them free in case of an emergency.

You could either unclip it or cut the bungee. If y'all have not seen this set up , what you do is rig your bottle like a stage then put a choker around the neck of the bottle throught the upper dog clip. That way it presses it up against the tank neck. When you get ready to sidemount you take the upper dog clip and hook it into the metal o ring. This way if you are on a boat or walking with the tanks on all the weight is place on the metal Links and when in the water the bungees pull it up towards you just like normal. It looks like a pretty ideal set up, I will let y'all know how it works out.

I wouldn't advise that. Metal to metal connections are generally not a good idea - you can't cut them free in case of an emergency.

I LOL'd than I cried... the obvious has already been stated.

Picture1.png

If you build something like this, consider using a loop of medium weight line rather than the quick-link in the middle, so you have something to cut. For mine I used some scraps of nylon cord, about 1/8" diameter.

If you build something like this, consider using a loop of medium weight line rather than the quick-link in the middle, so you have something to cut. For mine I used some scraps of nylon cord, about 1/8" diameter.

Cut the BUNGEE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom