Altitude after dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, there aren't any too many 10,000' mountains around the Gulf of Mexico. And maybe fighter jet pilots have more leeway and flexibility to stay away from weather than commercial flights on fixed routes and schedules.

I think you are correct on both accounts. The reason I used the 10,000' mountains as an example for the flying/driving rule is simply to illustrate that someone planning to continue decompressing while in flight might wind up screwed even with a best case scenario following the loss of cabin pressure. 10,000 feet is the altitude that a jet without cabin pressurization is likely to attempt to descend to if able. That 2,000' difference is what I was getting at.

Also, I agree that couple of guys/gals in a slick fighter/trainer jet can probably come out of altitude quicker than a 747. A descent from 30,000 to 10,000' is a 20,000' change in altitude which would obviously require a 10,000 foot per minute rate of descent. That rate of descent would be pretty easy to obtain and sustain in a fighter jet, but I am not sure a passenger jet with nearly 200 people onboard would make that two minute descent. Guys on here that fly the "heavies", please correct me if I am wrong...

Either way, I am glad that I am not the first person to see a potential problem due to an unexpected loss of cabin pressure in flight following a dive. It is also reassuring that there were no recorded instances of DCS during the research you mentioned...

as txapacheguy says 'this extremely unlikely situation' when the plane plummets from 30,000ft to 10,000ft, off gasing would be the last thing on my mind, I'd be reciting those words, 'in the event of an accident, place your head between your knees and kiss your ass (arse for us Brits) goodbye! (and yes I have to agree, in that 'extremely unlikely situation' it would/could play havoc with those little nitrogen bubbles in your blood stream, but there are other things in life to worry about.) An interesting thread, and I still think the 24 hour no fly rule is eccessivly over conservative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom