Going to Haigh Quarry for checkouts! (can anyone give me an overview)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go and have a great time.

The quarry has 2 deep docks and a walk in ramp the Docks are in about 45 feet of water. The walls drop straight down by both of them. Most of the classes for Basic open water enter down the ramp it is a nice walk in. I think it was the road that the trucks used when the quarry was active. There are platforms on the shallow side of the ramp that most classes use. When faceing the ramp this is the Left side. The platforms are maybe 12 or 15 feet square and are at about 20 feet. There will be plenty of bluegill and catfish hanging around.

Hopefully it will warm up some by the time you go. It was in the low 50's on the surface and 43 at 50 feet on Saturday.

Good luck and have fun. Please ask if you have any questions.

• Double check all your gear the day before. You'll probably be using rental stuff but you still want to take the time to look everything over and make sure it's all working properly.
  • Be sure to pack lots of water and snacks - diving is thirsty/hungry business.
  • Also sunscreen, a hat, a warm sweater, sweatpants, a towel, money for entry fees, fills and souvenirs.
  • Go to be early and get a good nights sleep the night before - you'll have more fun and you'll perform better.
  • Arrive early - you'll get better parking and you'll be less stressed trying to get everything done.
  • Relax, have fun, don't forget to breathe. Really - you'll have a good time in spite of yourself and look back on the weekend fondly for years to come.

Haigh quarry is where I did my checkout dives last October. It was freezing but still had alot of fun. For fresh water its amazing how clear the water was. I plan on going back when its a bit warmer. The hotels in the area offer a discount if you mention you are diving at Haigh. Have fun.

Haigh and clear water in the same sentence? What happened while I was gone?

Haigh and clear water in the same sentence? What happened while I was gone?

Don't panic! I was there Saturday and the Vis was about 20'ish feet. :D:D

I took a refresher dive there last May when the water was cold (45 or so). My brother was completing his open water, so I tagged along. Not many people were there, so the water was clear. I heard this is rare though. If not many people are there to muck things up, I found it great to dive because all blue gill, which are huge, come right up to you. You can swim with 3-foot long catfish too. It is great for a quick refresher dive or if you like lake fish. Other than that, there is not much to see unless you go to the other side where there are a bunch of submerged things. I did not get to do that, the water was freezing cold.

All great advice. Food there is generally available on the weekends but not all day. Also, bring a lawn chair for any land-based teaching your instructor might do.

If you are doing your open water, chances are you will be walking in on the road, and staying on the north side of the road. The rock crusher holds a lot of fish including 2 ginormous crappies and occasionally a tiger muskie of about 40". Visibility can be good...20-30' OR it can be awful 6"-3'. A lot depends on how many fins are beating up the bottom. Enjoy your dives, and make sure you are rested and a little early so you don't get stressed running around or trying to keep up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom