To Pee Or Not To Pee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must have found a killer deal on a p-valve.

I made my own unbalanced pee valve from Ace Hardware. Johnny Richards told me how right after my Cavern class.

I drink tons of water when I dive.

Me too. I have no excuse not to stay hydrated.

Diving dry is not an issue it seems as much as when wet for me. TS&M posted a couple years ago about salt slowing down urinary output. Before diving dry I eat a couple bags of salty chips and can drink a couple bottles of water. As long as I "go" right before I get in I'm good for two hours or more. For some reason when diving wet it does not work as well. I do know that I will not be in pain, risk kidney or bladder problems, or be overly concerned about a little smell. Woolite for my merino suits works very well. I'd like to hear from a urologist about the risks of holding it too long and too often.

halemanō;5246253:
I have heard from a physiology standpoint, with regards to hydration and warmth, peeing during the dive leads to a greater degree of dehydration and colder core temp. I'm sure some would question whether the gain is worth the pain sometimes, but I do know my current couple wet suits smell better than my previous wet suits, before I quit peeing during the dive.

Is this a "which is first, the chicken or the egg" question? I always thought that being cold and wet MADE me have to pee. When I worked in Hawaii, harvesting the prawn ponds in a wetsuit in waste to chest deep water that was 19-24C temp, I would urinate about a gallon before lunch.
In my hillbilly reckoning, I came to the conclusion that my body was dumping off excess water because of the energy it takes to keep that extra water warm. And to survive, keeping warm is more important in the short term than keeping hydratred.
Same when I'm freediving for 3-4 hours. After the first hour or so, I get a little cooled down and I'll pee 5 times over the next two hours.

There are two kinds of divers:

1. Those who pee in their suit
2. Those who need psychaitric counseling because they don't pee on themselves

There are two kinds of divers:

1. Those who pee in their suit
2. Those who need psychaitric counseling because they don't pee on themselves

Definitely not enough. There is a huge group that pees in their wetsuits but is very anxious about it. Or pees and is very anxious about why others won't :wink:

After 84 dives, I have yet to pee in my suit. I have never felt the need. That may change one day, but as of yet my wet suits smell nice and neopreney.

I used to pee in my wetsuit. I hated the smell and the feeling of it being on my skin. I started holding it. I hated that. I have now installed a pee valve in my wetsuit. It only cost me around five bucks. Smell free, pee free, clean skin.

When I get a drysuit, I will have a pee valve in that too.

Please tell us where you managed to score a P-Valve for that low an amount. If I could get one reasonably priced I would definitely get it.

Recent interviews with surfers (shark attack victims) showed that the attacks happed within minutes of peeing in the water. How much truth this holds is unclear, but is enough for me to keep it in. I start drinking water 40 min before a dive to keep me hydrated, but more importantly to get me to pee before I kit up.

I made my own unbalanced pee valve from Ace Hardware. Johnny Richards told me how right after my Cavern class.

Me too. I have no excuse not to stay hydrated.

It would be great if you could post how you did this.

It would be great if you could post how you did this.

I have the list of the supplies at home. Once I get back, I will post the list of items and then the construction I have done so far. I am waiting on a few condom catheters to ship in from Rochester.

Johnny said that it works great, I have not used it yet. I will post again once I get to test it all out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom