1 Breath swim for NAUI DM swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really is in your mind. Slow and easy with good technique. Being efficient not spastic and convincing yourself this is not a race will see you through. I finished dead last in the boy scouts 1 mile swim, but I exited the water, got checked off, and got on my bicycle and road d it home no sweat. People who were in the race may still be recovering! lol
Eric

I passed the 1 breath swim test for NAUI ADV Rescue Diver but what is the best way to hold my breath longer to pass the DM test?

What may work for one may not for another, but what I would suggest is to:

a) Be in good physical condition
b) Hyperventilate (a maximum of 3 breaths)
c) Relax as much as possible
d) Make defining strokes in the water, followed by a glide phase
e) Exhale slightly if you feel that you are needing to breathe.

This has worked for me and several students who have had difficulty.

Take it for what it is worth, but for me what works really well it forcing my mind not to think about what I am doing. I find if I focus on something else while I am swimming underwater on my breath hold and not focusing on the fact I am holding my breath, the time goes faster and it is much easier.

Try thinking about eating french fries, or anything else, this along with a good stroke/glide will allow you to get those last remaining yards.

Good luck

When I got my certification we had to do something our instructor called circuit breathing. He put tanks at the ends of a 25 meter pool, each set of tanks had three divers, two breathing on the tanks and one swimming from one to the other, when you got to the end you got the regulator and the other guy started swimming, you had to do 10 laps without surfacing to pass. I'm pretty sure we used fins but no mask. The trick was not to rush; if you tried going fast you'd burn out after a lap or two. I remember just trying to get into the "zone", not thinking about how far it was and just following the line on the bottom of the pool.

When I got my certification we had to do something our instructor called circuit breathing. He put tanks at the ends of a 25 meter pool, each set of tanks had three divers, two breathing on the tanks and one swimming from one to the other, when you got to the end you got the regulator and the other guy started swimming, you had to do 10 laps without surfacing to pass. I'm pretty sure we used fins but no mask. The trick was not to rush; if you tried going fast you'd burn out after a lap or two. I remember just trying to get into the "zone", not thinking about how far it was and just following the line on the bottom of the pool.

That's a little risky for brand new divers. Snorkelers are always taught to never dive down and breathe off of a friend's regulator due to risk of breath-holding to the surface. The same risk is involved here if the diver feels the flight instinct and bolts for the surface holding his breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom