One more valve drill question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When you are signalling your team with your light, whilst manipulating the valves, do you signal only when turning the valves off, or when turning them off and back on?

This is for GUE valve drill. Saw a video where it seemed they only signal on the valve off.

Off. There's no particular reason your teammates need to know you're turning your gas back on.

Really, by that point they're watching anyway. I don't see a reason to continue signaling "off" for each successive valve.

You signal while you are closing the valve, to build the habit of signaling when closing a valve. In real life, you'd only signal until you saw that the team had noted and was turned and paying attention. In a real life situation, you'd be unlikely to reopen a valve -- your buddy would do that for you, if he was able to solve the leak. Reopening the valve is only part of the drill, so there is no need to signal.

In a real life situation, you'd be unlikely to reopen a valve -- your buddy would do that for you, if he was able to solve the leak.
Well, it depends on level ... At T1/C1 level it's taught like you described whilst at T2 you're encouraged to do more by yourself.

I was taught to try myself (attempt to reseat the first stage, tighten hose fittings, etc), but to appeal to my team if I can't solve it. Once I relinquish control, it's their ballgame (on or off).

I do it (signal off each valve) out training habit, but don't particularly find value in it.

How are you expected to understand where the leak is coming from by yourself? I can't see my first stages, no matter how hard I try :) I'm not at all sure I could do much to loose and retighten my DIN connections, either; I sometimes find that difficult when the gear is in the back of the car!

When I mentioned "doing more by yourself" I thought about extending diagnostics rather then trying to fix the problem. E.g. in real life if you make wrong assumption on valve failure and close working one, you should evaluate the situation and try to correct your diagnosis.

How are you expected to understand where the leak is coming from by yourself

Educated guess as to the most likely failure. But realistically, you try what you can, and if that doesn't fix the problem, you ask for help. I can reseat my right post pretty easily. The left is harder.

If the failure feels catastrophic I'd probably ask for help sooner rather than later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom