Boat Etiquette...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
During a recent dive trip to Aruba (and my first series of boat dives), I noticed one diver climb into the gear-rinsing barrel with his suit on. Yuck! As if I'd like his pee etc. on my first stage! Is this normal/accepted? The barrel is for gear, not your dirty body! (Right?)

That was very rude and the boat captain should have said something. Sometimes being cute.....just isnt.

RICHinNC:
That was very rude and the boat captain should have said something. Sometimes being cute.....just isnt.

You mean the dunk tank? That shouldn't even be for gear - it should be for camera equipment! The last thing anyone needs is to have a leaky dive light dunked in the tank and leak some acid to destroy the housings on some significantly more expensive cameras.

Well, there was a camera dunk tank and a gear dunk tank. The idiot assumed that a quick dip in the gear tank could save him a shower that night. Incidentally, there was a fresh water shower on the boat. But no, he insisted that he soil everyone's first stages...

ClassAction:
During a recent dive trip to Aruba (and my first series of boat dives), I noticed one diver climb into the gear-rinsing barrel with his suit on. Yuck! As if I'd like his pee etc. on my first stage! Is this normal/accepted? The barrel is for gear, not your dirty body! (Right?)

Man I would not rinse my gear let alone take a dunk in any rinse barrel's I have seen in the tropics. Maybe they just changed the water on your charter boat. I think this guy was beyond rude, it was more strange. I thought you were kidding when I first read the post.

--Matt

Put a sign over the tank.

"We don't swim in your toilet so please don't pee in our pool" :54:

Gary D.

ClassAction:

Want to bet that your first stage has seem harsher things in the ocean?

I'm not an advocate for dunking your gear in someone's "stuff", but dead fish, pee, and much worse is in the ocean...But, nature has a way of making this work out....

As for the inconsiderate slob using the dunk tank, why didn't the other divers give him a blanket party?

Man, it's been a long time since I heard the term "Blanket Party." What are you, some kind of swab? LOL!

Its common practice. Those of you who are complaining simply don't take boat rides with people who take a lot of boat rides. Dry suit divers do this regularly, its the best way to rinse a drysuit.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom