DIY reg servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbletrubble,

We would prefer this not happen, but there is no need for concern. There will not be a rip in the fabric of time, and your gear will not suffer either. The worst that could happen: if you mix a lower percentage of Tribolube 71 with Christolube, it will just dry out or cake up the to the familiar cookie dough appearance (not observed from Tribolube 71 alone). Thank you for asking the question, that one had not come up yet.

Would it be a bad thing to allow Christolube to come into contact with Tribolube? Could this cause o-rings to deteriorate more quickly?
The only reason I ask is that this would happen if you used Christolube from your save-a-dive kit to make a field repair on your Tribolubed reg. Just curious.

I am not exactly sure who is selling the syringe of Tribolube 71, but the details are not entirely inaccurate. That is my packaging and that is a 30 cc/ml syringe and it has a net weight of 2 oz/56.70g.

Now that we re-started talking about it, there's even a guy in Switzerland selling it, off the Swiss eBay competitor, at $42 an oz. I'll give it a try next time.

Bubbletrubble,

We would prefer this not happen, but there is no need for concern. There will not be a rip in the fabric of time, and your gear will not suffer either. The worst that could happen: if you mix a lower percentage of Tribolube 71 with Christolube, it will just dry out or cake up the to the familiar cookie dough appearance (not observed from Tribolube 71 alone). Thank you for asking the question, that one had not come up yet.
Thanks for your response. I'm really glad that mixing Tribolube 71 and Christolube won't cause a tear in the fabric of time. I've seen movies (Star Trek, Back to the Future, Timecop, Galaxy Quest, Harry Potter, etc.) in which those temporal anomalies can cause a fair bit of inconvenience.:shocked2:

Thanks for your response. I'm really glad that mixing Tribolube 71 and Christolube won't cause a tear in the fabric of time. I've seen movies (Star Trek, Back to the Future, Timecop, Galaxy Quest, Harry Potter, etc.) in which those temporal anomalies can cause a fair bit of inconvenience.:shocked2:

Just don't get it mixed up with the K-Y jelly. That stuff will ruin a regulator.:D

When I look at the Apeks powerpoint presentation they recommend not mixing different lubricants. They say use one or the other (either cristo or dow) but do not mix them. They do not elaborate as to the reason.

When I look at the Apeks powerpoint presentation they recommend not mixing different lubricants. They say use one or the other (either cristo or dow) but do not mix them. They do not elaborate as to the reason.

That's undoubtedly because they're talking about two different kinds of grease, silicone and PTFE. Christolube and Tribolube are both PTFE grease, is that correct, David?

That's undoubtedly because they're talking about two different kinds of grease, silicone and PTFE. Christolube and Tribolube are both PTFE grease, is that correct, David?

You may be right. The powerpoint demo looks rather old so I doubt tribolube was on the market when it was made.

More to the point. Is there a 3rd party that a person could use to purchase hp seats, diaphrams, and filters besides buying a kit off ebay? I am thinking about servicing my own regs also but wonder if it is worth it. If the ebay kits are the same cost as what the dealer charges then I would save $75 or so a set by doing it myself. However if the people selling the ebay kits charge $10-20 more than what a dealer charges then it really isn't worth the time for the scubapro regs. But still worthwhile for my Sherwoods, Apeks, and Beuchats.

More to the point. Is there a 3rd party that a person could use to purchase hp seats, diaphrams, and filters besides buying a kit off ebay? I am thinking about servicing my own regs also but wonder if it is worth it. If the ebay kits are the same cost as what the dealer charges then I would save $75 or so a set by doing it myself. However if the people selling the ebay kits charge $10-20 more than what a dealer charges then it really isn't worth the time for the scubapro regs. But still worthwhile for my Sherwoods, Apeks, and Beuchats.

Once you get into DIY reg service, you will develop reasonable parts sources. I've found that 90% of the LDSs you ask will go into their liability, mfgr tech certification, and "life support" spiel. You need to look for the other 10%. Plus, there are often fairly good buys on ebay. But another real savings is when you DIY, you can do a lot less unnecessary parts replacement. And you will know that your tech is every bit as concerned with the reliable performance of your regulators as you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom