Recommendation of diving resort in Kending Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Can you tell my what kind of wet suit you wear? Do you need to wear gloves? I am planning to go in July-August and is a 3mm full wet suit provides enough thermal protection?

By the way, did you rent your scuba equipments there or you bringing your own? I am considering bringing my own but it is not really fun to drag them across US....."

"I would expect Long Jing to provide good, reliable rental kit, but it's always better to have your own equipment if feasible. I always bring my own equipment wherever I dive, even though I have to carry the heavy stuff around and maybe pay the airline an excess-baggage fee. Long Jing is a PADI Instructor Development Center so their rental gear should be safe enough, but with your own kit you have the "muscle memory" of knowing exactly where your dump valves are, how quickly the BC inflates, etc. Up to you, but I'd bring my own kit."

I just noticed this so I will chip in my 2 cents. Long Ching Dive center does not have good equipment for rental in fact the whole operation with the exception of the accommodation, which is pretty good and fairly priced, is poor. However there is a place right next door to Long Ching which offers private cabin style family accommodation for the same price. Unfortunately many of the dive operations in Kenting either have poorly maintained, old 2nd hand equipment for rental or none at all. The reason is that the majority of Taiwanese divers own their own gear. With regard to the Long Ching operation I think the less said about it the better. I dislike their operation as they allow spear fishing and collecting of corals and shells, they also allow divers to harass fish, ride turtles etc. They do not insist on buddy checks before entering the water. I often see their divers with dangling gauges and AA sources banging their way around the corals. In short bring your own gear. The only people that rent decent gear in Kenting are the foreign instructors. If you are forced to rent dive gear in Kenting be sure to check all the gear very carefully before you leave the shop and that means hooking it up to a tank and checking that everything works well.
You can check my website under 'dive sites' for what you can expect to see depths etc. I do not have any maps up as yet but I will try and do that in the future. You should be aware that July and August is typhoon season in Taiwan and diving can be curtailed for several days by the weather. A 3mm wet suit is all you will need, but if you get cold easily add a 3mm hood. Gloves are a good idea as there are a lot of sharp coral rocks on shore entries and exits. If I can help you any further please PM me, I am happy to assist.

I was going to second that. I keep hearing all this great talk about Long Ching and it is simply not true. The air quality is about as bad as it gets (I know the source of the compressor and it is really really bad). The gear...its in sad sad sad condition. They have several owners so nothing can really get fixed. Training....well I think I have said enough already. The benefits they have is location, English website, English speaking instructor and really cheap price.

I was going to second that. I keep hearing all this great talk about Long Ching and it is simply not true.

I hope nobody misunderstands: I've never recommended Long Jing nor said any great stuff about them. I've never used their gear or services, other than I got some nitrox fills from them once (which were fine), and I've bought a couple of retail items from them (again, fine). I just posted their contact info because I happened to have "cards I've picked up in the past" and simply because info --any info -- in English about Taiwan diving is hard to come by online.

For what it's worth, I've never used Newport either, and I've only used Nan Qing's boat and dormitory a couple times (and never used their gear). New World is conveniently-located in Kenting town and the staff are friendly, but once they did rent me a regulator which had a slight freeflow, which didn't positively impress me very much. (The rest of their rental equipment was adequate, and I've never had any problems with air fills from them -- nor has anyone else I've heard about since New World changed management over a year ago).

I speculated that "Long Jing is a PADI Instructor Development Center so their rental gear should be safe enough ..." but I stand corrected by two instructors in Kenting whom I do recommend, so I'll retract that speculation :wink:.

LoveOceanicGears: Sounds like if you've already booked something through Long Jing and paid a deposit, you should definitely bring your own gear.

Sounds like if you've already booked something through Long Jing and paid a deposit, you should definitely bring your own gear.

Hi Makhno:

Yes, I already paid a deposit and plan to stay in Long Jing. But I made the decision not solely based on your recommendation. First I tried to Google the info. And the amount of info I can get is very little. As a matter of fact, I would say ALL the Kending hotel web sites I found are very poorly designed - I cannot find any info I need, even though I read Chinese!

So I called couple hotels in Taiwan and asked for info. I finally decided on Long Jing because they have a on site dive shop, a web site that is better designed, a YouTube video gives me a glimpse how the facility looks like. And finally it is cheap - it is about 1/5 to 1/4 of price I paid in Cozumel.

I believe everything will just turn out to be great. If it is not, Makhno, I will still sincerely appreciate for all your help and I will absolutely not blaming you for anything.

And yes, I do plan to bring my own gear. The only item I am not sure about is BCD (I am a little heavy because after all, I live in USA :)) and now I will bring it, too.

I stand corrected by two instructors in Kenting whom I do recommend

I am just wondering, if I don't like the instructor in Long Jing, will Long Jing gives me problem if I found my own instructor and dive master?

Thanks all again for giving me so much valuable information!

LoveOceanicGears,

I live the North end of Taiwan, but when possible travel down South to Kenting for dive weekends. Pity I didn't see your note earlier or could have advised decent hotels and where to head, but anyway I see Makhno has filled you in.

Weekend before last, having had some boat dive cancelled due to poor morning weather, by chance later in the day I was contacted by "Shellback" diver (Greg), and he inivited us to join him and his friends for a couple of shore dives, which we did. This was first time we'd dived with "Shellback" and no problem, professional guy, discussed a clear dive plan with us, took us to some good dive sights (and though buddy and I are confident and AOW) kept his eye on us and never went too far away. If you hook up with Shellback, you'll have safe diving, and good air/nitrox as he uses a very relaible store "Second stage".

Later in day I joined up with "Ambertiger" (Andy) who was with a couple of students, to made a night dive with him (and a buddy of mine) and next morning Sunday joined him and his students with two buddys of mine for a couple of boat dives on a boat he had arranged. Andy I've dived with before, and again diving with him you are in very safe reliable hands, he's a Professional guy, uses reliable source for clean air / nitrox, and has dived Kenting area for years.

As for LongJing, well I've used the shop, but never the dive facilities, but have faith in Andy and Greg, so be careful. I would however say that if you are staying in Longjing, the location is poor for a hioliday - it's located quite a way out of the main little bustling resort of Kenting town, where all the restaurants/night market is, and infact if you step out of LongJing front door in the evening - there is nothing except the main road - oh and a 7/11 !! Personally, if I were you I'd rebook yourself into a hotel in Kenting town, and contact Andy and/or Greg to sort your dives out.

Cheers

PS: Though I am a long way from being a professional photographer, and still trying to work out the camera settings I have just started to upload a few photos from dives in Taiwan/ Kenting onto

ScubaBoard Gallery - Wantonmien Gallery

I'll be adding more to that location as I get time.

I live the North end of Taiwan, but when possible travel down South to Kenting for dive weekends. Pity I didn't see your note earlier or could have advised decent hotels and where to head, but anyway I see Makhno has filled you in.

Hi Wantonmien:

Thanks for you advise. Can you give me the hotel names you recommend? It would be great if hotel is near night market because that one place I miss most about Taiwan. If possible, their web sites and names in Chinese, too. I can still change it since my arrival date is still 3 months away.

Shellback and Ambertiger, I am planning to stay in Kending for 7 days in August. My daughter and I want to dive possibly everyday, either shore or boat dives, do some night dives, and my wife is probably going to take either PADI O/W ocean dives or whole O/W course. Would you be able to arrange that for me? PM me if you prefer.

Thank you all.

LoveOceanicGears,

http://uukt.idv.tw/inn/nt.htm
As per pic, it's a small hotel but rooms are clean, modern and it's perfectly OK for the weekend, albeit it is rooms only, no restaurant or other facilities. It is situated far end of Kenting town, within 5 minutes walk of 'Newport' dive centre (where Andy works from), 10 minutes walk to the main beach and night market / restraurants at your front door. They don't speak a word of English there, and website only in Chinese. Back rooms are best as they look directly onto the green national park.

Similar same small style http://uukt.idv.tw/inn/hyu.htm
I've not used that one but a friend of mine tells me it's clean, modern and again perfectly ok for a weekend.

If wanting more upmarket with all facilities top notch http://www.caesarpark.com.tw/en/kenting.php
It's basically 5 mins the opposite side of Newport, and all mod cons, private area of beach, good restaurants, pool etc etc. I've used that place when relatives over, no complaints, except it costs about 4 times as much as the smaller hotel.

Any problem, drop me a PM

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

I think Wantonmien has given you good advice there is nothing at all (restaurant wise) near Long Ching and it is a good 500~600 meter from Nan Wan beach area and 4~5K north of Kenting I know Wantonmien has info for a nice hotel near the night market in Kenting, I usually stay in the dive shop dorm at the top of the night market. :wink: There are heaps of small hotels and guest houses within a 5~10min walk of the night market in Kenting that cater to families. if you want a really nice place I would recommend The Red Garden ( Red Garden Resort ) it is a small modern 10 room guest house with a beautiful Balinese style garden and furnishings, right across from the small beach at Sail Rock. However it is about 2k south of Kenting town so you would need to rent a scooter to get around as it is too far to walk into Kenting, but I guess you will do that anyway if you are staying for a week. I will have look for some Kenting guest houses (Da Wan Rd at the back of Kenting Rd is full of newly constructed guest houses that are a 10 min walk form the night market and restaurants) and post it to you later not many have websites though, they just do walk in business for the most part.

No problem teaching your wife a private OW class or doing some continuing education course with either of you. Why don't you email me at divingintaiwan@yahoo.com.tw and we can discuss this further.

Cheers.

Hi there,
I'm Sue from Singapore and am able to converse in both Mandarin and Hokkien.
I have read about the fantastic dives in green island and will like to find out more about it for a trip in December.
Are there any recommended dive operators and can please let me know of their contact ?
Will love to see hammerhead sharks as mentioned in some of the ads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom