DIY reg servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yea ur spot on there. chamfer meaning yes a slight angle on 1 side and i did install them facing away from the rubber o ring so all is good.also i used silicone lube and not christo. do u think that makes much of a difference.

Quote SP Engineering Bulletin #248: "The MK10plus and MK20 1st stages are assembled using Christo-Lube® lubricant, p/n 41-047-000. Your choice of lubricant will affect the intermediate pressure. If standard silicone grease is used, the intermediate pressure could increase by as much as 20 psi. SCUBAPRO recommends using Christo-Lube for these two first stages." That's 1.4 bar.

If your IP is on the low side, you may get away with it. I buy Christo on eBay for a not too bad price and use it on all dynamic o-rings.

Awap,

I happened upon this statement in an old thread. A year after this posted you were introduced and tested Tribolube 71. Has your position changed, and why?

I only use christolube. I believe it is recognized to be a better lube and protectant than silicon. In most cased, rub in just enough to give the o-ring a sheen. Exceptions are douible o-rings like the 2 on the Mk25 piston or the balanced poppet. I load up the space between the 2 rings as much as I can. Also the HP piston o-ring on the Mk5/10. They will produce a shrill squealing noise if they are not well lubed.

TRIBOLUBE71

Sorry to hijack a question addressed to awap, but I want to give you the point of vue of an amateur from overseas: while I don't doubt your product is at least as good as the other one, sourcing it in a convenient way can be a problem. I just did a search on eBay, and there are 11 offers for Christo-Lube 111 & 129, and only 1 for Tribolube-16. And the guy selling Christo charges reasonable shipping from NY.

If you could setup a "dealership" like that, I'll try yours when my current supply runs out.

Let me provide a counterpoint, also as an amateur DIY guy:

I've used Tribolube exclusively for the past year or so, and I'm very happy with the results. The regulators I've used it on (which call for christolube) are:

Two Mares MR-22
Two Zeagle Flathead VI
One Mares MR-12 (older model)

I have 3 more MR-12's that will probalby require service in a few months, and will use Tribolube.

Best wishes.

Awap,

I happened upon this statement in an old thread. A year after this posted you were introduced and tested Tribolube 71. Has your position changed, and why?

I have been using tribolube for almost a year now and I relagated what was left of my tube of christolube to my save-a-dive kit. Both seem to be excellent lubricants.

I have been using tribolube for almost a year now and I relagated what was left of my tube of christolube to my save-a-dive kit. Both seem to be excellent lubricants.
Would it be a bad thing to allow Christolube to come into contact with Tribolube? Could this cause o-rings to deteriorate more quickly?
The only reason I ask is that this would happen if you used Christolube from your save-a-dive kit to make a field repair on your Tribolubed reg. Just curious.

I've been using Tribolube71 since October of 2008 and I'll be happy to say I'm still very satisfied with it. True enough Christolube is also a good product, but it's good to have a less expensive and probably better alternative. In fact, I still have not seen any of the "cookie dough" that I would occasionally see with Bracote and Christolube.

For those of you who are not aware Tribolube has it's own section on SB, here's a link the thread where a few of us made post about our experiences with "the new kid" back then. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tribolube/263864-tribolube-have-you-tried-yet.html

BubbleTrubble, that is a good question for David L (Tribolube71) and I look forward to his input, but my guess is because both products are PTFE based they should be compatible.

c

TRIBOLUBE71

Sorry to hijack a question addressed to awap, but I want to give you the point of vue of an amateur from overseas: while I don't doubt your product is at least as good as the other one, sourcing it in a convenient way can be a problem. I just did a search on eBay, and there are 11 offers for Christo-Lube 111 & 129, and only 1 for Tribolube-16. And the guy selling Christo charges reasonable shipping from NY.

If you could setup a "dealership" like that, I'll try yours when my current supply runs out.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4124521-post16.html

Now that we re-started talking about it, there's even a guy in Switzerland selling it, off the Swiss eBay competitor, at $42 an oz. I'll give it a try next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom