Guam dive sites with MDA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you staying in Guam? If your wife likes to snorkle, the reef in Tumon bay that alot of the hotels sit on, is supurb. Shallow, a lot of life, and vey calm (Normally). Last time I was there, I found a big octopus and a bunch of anenomees and anenomee fish withing 30 yards of the hotels beach.

I'm glad it was useful! One quick update: while on an MDA boat today (dove the Tokai Maru and Cormoran; very nice!) I asked the captain what you might reasonably expect. He said that on the daily 8:30am boats he's trying to make the first dive Blue Hole or Crevice most days now (the other captains might do something different). Visibility and conditions have been pretty great. The second dive would likely be a shallower harbor dive.

Wow. Thanks for asking the captain about that.

Just curious -- Is there much to see or do at Blue Hole aside from the thrill of actually going into the hole?

Where are you staying in Guam? If your wife likes to snorkle, the reef in Tumon bay that alot of the hotels sit on, is supurb. Shallow, a lot of life, and vey calm (Normally). Last time I was there, I found a big octopus and a bunch of anenomees and anenomee fish withing 30 yards of the hotels beach.

I think the package puts us in the Marriott, so we're right on the beach. :)

We visited Guam for the first time last year and went snorkeling at Ypao beach. Nice, warm, and clear water with tons of little fish. Saw a pretty big barracuda too.

The short trip and flight times with these packages from Japan are a bit of a problem though. We're there for 3 days, but can't go diving on the 2nd day of the trip.

Wow. Thanks for asking the captain about that.

Just curious -- Is there much to see or do at Blue Hole aside from the thrill of actually going into the hole?

I'm glad I could ask! It's actually a pretty interesting area to do a drift dive, and there can be some fun stuff to see.

When I was there yesterday we just drifted south along the flat near the hole and the wall alongside it (down to 118 feet/36 m) and back up. We saw a small turtle, lots of fun fish, and a couple of morays. There are some sea fans and folks regularly see sharks there. It's mostly a wide plateau at about 60 ft/18 m with lots of small algae cover and lots of small fish. There are some big boulders that whitetip sharks sometimes sleep under, and the wall at the edge is a pretty cool drop off. We saw some nice big surgeonfish grazing, and some large snappers. There isn't much of a coral reef, but there's plenty of living stuff to look at. I really enjoyed the dive.

I'm not sure the hole itself is worth the bother and short bottom time. The folks I've been diving with say that dropping through the hole isn't too great because most things worth seeing inside it have been broken off by the masses of divers going through. That said, I've never actually gone through it myself, so can't really give you a better opinion on that.

i have been in Guam for almost three years and too me, the Blue Hole is the best dive here. The water is so clear and the sae life is abundant. you never know what you will see out there. The last couple of dives, i have seen sharks, turtles, a few lion fish and after you come out of the Blue Hole if you are oriented facing the wall, to the left is a big rock where a moray eel usually hangs out at. The last two dives there i have seen two sharks on seperate occasions. The first was a Grey Reef Shark that was in about 103 feet of water, just cruising along the edge of the drop off, and the second one that i saw was w White Tip Reef Shark and i saw him in about sixty feet of water. i too would agree with gismonkey, if you want to see fish life stay out of the hole, because there is not too much down there. when will you be here in Guam? I see your from Japan? i will be moving up to Okinawa in July. Have you ever been diving in Okinawa and if so can you tell me about it?

i will be moving up to Okinawa in July. Have you ever been diving in Okinawa and if so can you tell me about it?

The diving is definatly better in guam then okinawa. I go both places often as I fly a refueler. Go to the dive shop on Kadena, its out gate 4 and across hwy 58.
Kadena Marina Scuba Locker

Thanks for the link to those videos.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. We'll be on Guam for a few days mid-May and I've e-mailed MDA about reserving a spot on their boat the one day we can go diving.

i will be moving up to Okinawa in July. Have you ever been diving in Okinawa and if so can you tell me about it?

Sorry. I live in Tokyo and have never been to Okinawa so don't know about diving there. All of my diving has been done outside of Japan.

But if you find that Okinawa isn't to your liking, Ishigaki-jima is one of the most popular dive spots in Japan. It's southwest of Okinawa and closer to Taiwan. The diving there is supposed to be excellent.

awesome thanks for the info. my wife is Japanese and she know this place, so once i get settled in Okinawa i will have to go there just to see how good it really is. send me an e-mail when you get into town maybe we can dive together?

thanks and have a great day.
Todd (guamdiver07@hotmail.com)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom