Suunto Support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadedeeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey All,

I wanted to provide some info to consider when buying new dive equipment.

I purchased a Suunto Vytec about 4 years ago. The computer was great and handled every dive with ease. I loved the features and functionality till just recently when my dive computer began to claim I was at a different depth than I was. It started to be 1-5' difference then went crazy and was telling me I was at over 400' below water while sitting at the surface.

I took it to the place I bought it who was actually Sports Chalet and they sent it back only to learn there was nothing Suunto could do for me. When I asked what my options were, they basically said to buy a new one. As I thought my investment would last a little longer, I contacted Suunto to ask for help and they said there was nothing they could do either from warranty or repair. They recommended I contact AquaLung to seek assistance through their distributor. However, when I called the company, they too said there was little I could do as I didn't have the receipt anymore. They do offer a pro-rating towards another purchase, but as I don't have the receipt anymore...there was nothing they could do.

To anyone looking for gear, remember 2 very important things:

1. NEVER throw away your receipts
2. Be aware that some manufacturers don't offer much support unless they have to on their own products.

Until my computer broke, I had heard of similar Suunto complaints and figured it was a unique circumstance that I would ever have to deal with. Now, even though I loved my computer...till it broke...i regret buying it as my investment was limited and lasted for about 4 years.

I am sure there are other Suunto users who have never had similar issues, and I wish I were the same...but when things go bad...I wish you the best.

As for any diver looking to buy new gear, I found that many manufacturers also thought my experience was insane and how the manufacturer handled it was bad. Be very selective in the gear you buy and remember, Buyer Beware! Do your homework and look for reviews from other divers like on this board.

Happy diving

E

Is Sports Chalet an authorized dealer? What does the manufacturer's warranty stipulate? Is it a "limited lifetime warranty against any defects in manufacturing," or a "one year limited warranty.."? I guess I should know what the Suunto warranty looks like, since I own a Suunto D9, but I bought mine from a discounter, saved around $500, if I recall correctly, and will toss it in the trash when it dies on me.

Edit:

From Suunto.com, it seems the warranty for dive computers is two years (boldfaced below). I wouldn't expect much from the manufacturer after the warranty expires. For the most part, electronics are disposable, not repairable. A point brought home to me when I brought my iPod to the Genius Bar at the Apple store in Soho for a battery change and they just handed me a new one.

SUUNTO LIMITED WARRANTY FOR SUUNTO PRODUCTS AND THEIR ACCESSORIES

This Limited Warranty is valid as of January 1st, 2007.

Suunto Oy ("Suunto") provides this limited warranty to you who have purchased the Suunto product and/or Suunto accessories ("Product").

Suunto warrants to you that during the Warranty Period Suunto or a Suunto Authorized Service Center will, remedy defects in materials or workmanship free of charge, at its sole discretion, by either a) repairing the Product or the parts or b) replacing the Product or the parts or c) refunding the purchase price of the Product, subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty. Your mandatory legal rights under your applicable national laws relating to the sale of consumer products are not affected by this Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in the country where you have purchased the Product provided that Suunto has intended the Product for sale in that country. If you, however, have purchased the Product in a member state of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Turkey and Suunto originally intended the Product for sale in one of these countries this Limited Warranty is valid and enforceable in all of these countries. The warranty service may be limited due to the possible country specific elements in the Products.

In countries outside of European Union, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland or Turkey, subject to your agreement to pay a service fee and compensation for the possible shipment costs incurred by Suunto or a Suunto Authorized Service Centre, you can have warranty service also outside the country where you have purchased the Product. The possible used spare parts will in this case be provided free of charge.

Warranty Period

The Warranty Period starts at the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser. The Product may consist of several different parts and different parts may be covered by a different warranty period (hereinafter "Warranty Period"). The different Warranty Periods are:

a. Two (2) years for the Outdoor Sports Instruments and Heart Rate Monitors
b. Two (2) years for the Diving Computers
c. Two (2) years for the Precision Instruments
d. Ten (10) years for the Marine Compasses
e. Limited Life time for the Field Compasses
f. One (1) year for the consumable parts and accessories including (but not limited to) chargeable batteries, chargers, docking stations, straps, cables and hoses (whether included in the sales package or sold separately).

To the extent your national laws permit, the Warranty Period will not be extended or renewed or otherwise affected due to subsequent resale, Suunto authorized repair or replacement of the Product. However, part(s) repaired or replacement product during the Warranty Period will be warranted for the remainder of the original Warranty Period or for three (3) months from the date of repair or replacement, whichever is longer.

I just went through a similar experience with my 6 year old Cobra. There appears to be a problem with some Cobras (and others?) with the depth sensor going psycho... Suunto has no idea why. I was told if I could produce my receipt from an Authorized dealer, Suunto would honor the normal 2 year warranty for 5 years, replace my Cobra, and give me another 5 year warranty on the replacement. HOWEVER - I purchased the original online, saving myself nearly $400 up front, and am now patiently waiting to give my LDS some cash for a new Cobra III. Suunto / Aqualung told me exactly the same thing, have a receipt from an authorized dealer and we'll talk to you...

Can't sports chalet reprint the receipt? My friends vytec went out on him and he took it back to the shop and they reprinted his receipt and he got a vytec DS since they were not repairing the vytec anymore at no charge.

I bought my Suunto from a guy named 'Miguel' out of the back of a van. There are no authorised Suunto dealers within 500 miles of where I live. When it broke, I sent it to Suunto (in Finland) and they fixed it. I had to pay them, but I am still ahead.

I don't doubt your experiences, but mine were different.

I had trouble downloading both my wife's and my Suunto Cobra data into my desktop computer. I Emailed Suunto but other than suggesting a software upgrade, they were unable to help.

After some messing around I discovered that the problem was an intermittent fault in the download cable itself. Suunto wants over $100 for a new cable, which I find to be extortionate and refuse to pay, so I live with the problem.

I too own a Suunto comp. The depth-sensor went nuts for me aswell.
About 12 hours in about 40 degrees C water and some dish-soap cured my problem. I dont know if you'r problem is the same, I assume some salt-crystal made mine go nuts.

Otherwise Suunto has been great when i've encountered problems with their products, I might have a bit of an advantage since I've met both Tomi and Mika from Ursuk witch is the biggest retailer of Suunto in scandinavia.

Hope you get your computer sorted out!

Thanks for the tip on the hot water... as soon as they pull the quick disconnect off and put it on the new computer, I'll go ahead and try it. What have I got to lose, right.

I own two Suunto Eons that were made in 1997. Both have over 400 dives each and are used mainly in the Pacific Northwest . Both work today as good as new . Easy battery change every 18 months or so . Always accurate .
I did stray for a couple of years and tried a couple of hose-less air integrated computers . Nothing but failure after failure .
Pulled out the Suuntos and just love them . I swear the best gear was made between 1988 and 1998 .

After some messing around I discovered that the problem was an intermittent fault in the download cable itself. Suunto wants over $100 for a new cable, which I find to be extortionate and refuse to pay, so I live with the problem.

I bought an after market cable on ebay for $25. Still works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom