Hawai'i Passes Shark Fin Possession Ban!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, we do discard the fins on almost all the fish we humans eat. Of course I'm very much against shark finning.

Just want to make sure I read this right:

So you can kill the shark, bring it in, hack it up and sell it off except for the fins which have to be thrown away. Is that correct?

Here is a link to the actual bill.

Happy reading! :D

SB2169 HD2.DOC

Well, we do discard the fins on almost all the fish we humans eat. Of course I'm very much against shark finning.

I'd agree that killing sharks just for the fin is bad but I'd also argue that forcing the fins to be discarded is equally as bad. Both are wasteful.

PROBLEMS WITH THE BILL - PLEASE HELP:

"The process requires that once passed through the House of Representatives bills then go to what is called 'Conference' where meetings are arranged to decide the final version of the outline. As this particular bill was almost defeated, resurrected and then eventually passed it had experienced some serious bounding around. During this journey some of the points have become bones of contention within the discussions.

The main problem now is that some of the House members are asking for the word 'Possession' meaning that at the end of the day it would still be allowed for the import of shark fin to Hawaii. If this becomes the sticking point the incredible and groundbreaking movement comes to a grinding halt, it won't move up to the next rung in the process ladder. "

Please send an email of support for Bill SB2169 to
reps@capitol.hawaii.gov

The saga continues:
Hawaii is in the last stretch to have a full ban on shark fins in the State. Bill SB2169 passed Conference committee with a date of July 1, 2010 and is going back for a House vote then to be signed by the Governor. Someone get the Governor a Shark shaped pen!

This PDF is the latest version of Bill SB2169:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2010/Bills/SB2169_sd1_.pdf

I am overjoyed to be able to let everyone know that the bill (SB 2169) PASSED through the HI legislature on 2nd route today unanimously in the Senate and only one no in the House. The only step left now is for the Governor to sign it into law.

It's a WONDERFUL day!!!!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom