Change to an AL backplate for Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could try a 2 lb weight on your crotch strap for very little cost. If it helps you with your trim you could then look for a more permanent fix: http://www.agir-brokk.com/img/dsc_1243a.jpg

The farther from your center of gravity the less weight you will need. A weight belt at the waist is pretty near that center, a smaller butt weight would be as effective as a much bigger one on your waist.

Heavier fins also would help, but that is making things more expensive.

Stop everything. This is most easily accomplished by proper backplate positioning, proper fins, and good posture underwater. Don't spend a dime until all of those things are fixed.

Try loosening the shoulder straps a bit and tightening the crotch strap a tad. See what happens. Make sure you can rinse your valves, your knees are bent 90 degrees, the fins are proper, heavy rubber, and then see whats happening.

Weighting your crotch strap is pointless, as is switching plates. Practice more, work on the above mentioned things, and you'll get it. It takes some time.

Stop everything. This is most easily accomplished by proper backplate positioning, proper fins, and good posture underwater. Don't spend a dime until all of those things are fixed.

If he's over-weighted, he's over-weighted and needs to loose some weight somewhere to get neutral at a shallow stop and 300-500 psi.

Try loosening the shoulder straps a bit and tightening the crotch strap a tad. See what happens. Make sure you can rinse your valves, your knees are bent 90 degrees, the fins are proper, heavy rubber, and then see whats happening.

I'm sure he can rinse his valves just fine :) (I'm sure you meant reach his valves) And I agree, if he's neutral with no gas in the wing at 15' with 300-500 psi in all his cylinders, a set of jets or turtles might be all that's required.

Weighting your crotch strap is pointless, as is switching plates. Practice more, work on the above mentioned things, and you'll get it. It takes some time.

Practice is good, practice in a rig that's not right to begin with isn't as beneficial.

So now he'll have an al plate, and a steel plate, and a weightbelt... or just put the steel plate in the right place and have fun diving?

I've met a diver or two in my day, and I've never seen ANYONE unable to trim a set of double 108s with everything set up correctly. Fix the problem, don't put an expensive bandaid on it. Throwing new/ different equipment at it is pointless.

So now he'll have an al plate, and a steel plate, and a weightbelt... or just put the steel plate in the right place and have fun diving?

I've met a diver or two in my day, and I've never seen ANYONE unable to trim a set of double 108s with everything set up correctly. Fix the problem, don't put an expensive bandaid on it. Throwing new/ different equipment at it is pointless.

Seriously, you've missed my point on being neutral with no gas in the wing on a shallow stop and low on gas. All the OP has stated is that he doesn't need ADDITIONAL weight but he never said that's with no gas in the wing. AFAIK, he may have taken a PADI drysuit class and is using the suit as a BC.

And don't "pull the experience card" on me either. If your profile is accurate, I had more dives than you BEFORE I started my progression in technical training.

Gentlemen, please calm yourselves.

Everybody raises good points, but sometimes an equipment solution is for an equipment problem. Sometimes a certain configuration is just incompatible with a diver's stature/makeup/whatever that something has to change.

That being said I encourage the OP to practice lots to see if is just unfamiliarity with the rig, but they may find out later, as other divers have, that changing their setup is necessary, be it buying a new piece of gear or simply modifying their current setup in some way.

Peace,
Greg

Seriously, you've missed my point on being neutral with no gas in the wing on a shallow stop and low on gas. All the OP has stated is that he doesn't need ADDITIONAL weight but he never said that's with no gas in the wing. AFAIK, he may have taken a PADI drysuit class and is using the suit as a BC.

And don't "pull the experience card" on me either. If your profile is accurate, I had more dives than you BEFORE I started my progression in technical training.

What has dive count got to do with anything at this stage? A big difference in 100 cold water dives all geared up in doubles, stage and drysuit low vis and a total run time of 65 to 70 minutes, compared to a nice leisurely 100 dives in crystal clear water at 72F in a wetsuit and single tank with a total run time of 45 minutes. Instead of getting hung up on dive count listen to what is being said. I agree before the OP starts adding weight or changing back plates 9 times out of 10 it is just a case of adjusting the existing equipment and practice when its a trim problem.

My gut feeling was what most of you here have said, "dive them some more before changing to the Al plate." I will make some minor adjustments to my setup and dive them alot this summer. I will also do a weight check at 500 psi to see exactly where I'm at with weight.

I find it interesting that as I've talked to some friends that have experience in doubles, almost all of them said that they did this or that, but now they didn't need it anymore.

Thanks to everyone for some guidance.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom