Stuff I don't need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm,

tropical beenie

thin reef gloves (tropical) Akona makes some good ones

monogrammed slap strap for identifying your mask ( yourbagtag.com )

monogrammed wetsuit wetsuit zipper pulls ( yourbagtag.com )

monogrammed suitcase tags ( yourbagtag.com)

handy-dandy portable save-a-dive kit (TRIDENT makes one for $ 25)

load up on assorted common O-rings (diveriteexpress.com has a good page on common sizes and scuba applications)

freshen up your dive computer batteries

black surgical tubing (reefscuba.com) and assorted bycycle inner tubes (to make rubber bands to secure items to BC webbing, I use them to secure BC inflator hoses to the corrugated inflator hose.)

other consumables: mask defog/suntan lotion/antibiotic lotions/band aids...you get the idea, you'd be surprised at all the little supplies/ do-dads you need for a trip.

marker pens (I just ordered some from DurableSupplyCompany) to mark my dive gear, theft deterrent plus it helps aviod confusion and helps the boat crew on deck keep track of what belongs to whom.)

quality safety gear (Halcyon SMB) and safety strobe (I'm using JOTRON ones, the AQ4 ).....each of those items will run you a little over $ 100 U.S. each.

So, apart from pizza and beer :D, I've got most of the things that people have suggested. But these items to me stand out:

Books - if someone is happy to recommend their top 5 dive books I'll get them tomorrow. I've read about three dive books (diver, the last dive, and something else) and I devoured them in hours. More please...
Titanium knife - I'm looking for a new knife. I want one that is relatively large, pointy (not blunt) and not shiny metal. Any particular knives spring to mind?
Spring straps - I dive Jet Fins and although I'd love to have spring straps I cannot on a moral basis pay more for the straps than the fins and with Jets that's the case. The spring straps are £11 ($15) more than the fins. That's morally objectionable.
Tank marker light - hmmm, like the sound of this
Tank checker gauge - hmmm, no idea what this is

Re: new SMB - is it really possible to upgrade an SMB? Are there ones with a nicer hue of orange or something?

So what else? I enjoyed getting a reef hook for the maldives. Of course I lost it long ago but it was a fun piece of equipment to tie into and shoot video whilst everyone else was blowing in the current one handed totally incapable of shooting anything.

I got socks at xmas. They're neat.

Surely there must be a bit of killer kit out there that I NEED to get just don't know it yet.

Thal, was it you that talked about some kind of zinc coated 'death stars' useful for deploying when you think a shark is the wrong side of frisky?

So what else?

J

Last edited:
hmmm,

tropical beenie

thin reef gloves (tropical) Akona makes some good ones

monogrammed slap strap for identifying your mask ( yourbagtag.com )

monogrammed wetsuit wetsuit zipper pulls ( yourbagtag.com )

monogrammed suitcase tags ( yourbagtag.com)

handy-dandy portable save-a-dive kit (TRIDENT makes one for $ 25)

load up on assorted common O-rings (diveriteexpress.com has a good page on common sizes and scuba applications)

freshen up your dive computer batteries

black surgical tubing (reefscuba.com) and assorted bycycle inner tubes (to make rubber bands to secure items to BC webbing, I use them to secure BC inflator hoses to the corrugated inflator hose.)

other consumables: mask defog/suntan lotion/antibiotic lotions/band aids...you get the idea, you'd be surprised at all the little supplies/ do-dads you need for a trip.

marker pens (I just ordered some from DurableSupplyCompany) to mark my dive gear, theft deterrent plus it helps aviod confusion and helps the boat crew on deck keep track of what belongs to whom.)

quality safety gear (Halcyon SMB) and safety strobe (I'm using JOTRON ones, the AQ4 ).....each of those items will run you a little over $ 100 U.S. each.

Wow - can we go shopping together??? You truly have mastered this particular art :D

J

I'm gunna be the wise guy. I'd never find that I'd have $200 (or any amount) to just blow on anything. I buy what I need and occasionally what I REALLY want- like an upcoming dive trip with my buddy. Guess I'm also lucky I don't have to buy stuff under my wife's radar.

Titanium knife - I'm looking for a new knife. I want one that is relatively large, pointy (not blunt) and not shiny metal. Any particular knives spring to mind?J

I have this knife and love it.

Unidive

Wow - can we go shopping together??? You truly have mastered this particular art :D

J

...shopping together here in the states would be the easy part, shipping everything back to England would be the scary part, wouldn't it ? :)

Books: Mark Powell's Deco for Divers; the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. Fish ID books for your area.

An Otter Bay custom hood.

The DryAir hangers with the fan in them (I WANT one, I just can't bring myself to buy it).

More spools . . . you can't have too many spools (but I suppose you can, if you don't cave dive!)

A TruWest dive parka (they're FANTASTIC).

An even better mask (one that fits better or has wider field of view or is even lower profile).

BTW, you're wrong about the spring straps :)

Titanium knife - I'm looking for a new knife. I want one that is relatively large, pointy (not blunt) and not shiny metal. Any particular knives spring to mind?

J

If you don't mind a fairly big knife, I'd recommend the Wenoka Big Squeeze w/ tanto tip. It's titanium, has a tanto tip (about half-way between a standard pointy tip and a blunt tip) and it has the best locking mechanism of any knife I've used.

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SQTKBST.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SQTKBSTYL

Last edited:
Get a cheap underwater camera; it will insure that you never again have to grapple with the dilemma of what to do with extra cash. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom