New Canon S90 & Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950, Nemrod,

I have read some complaints on the S90 and was wondering if you think these complaints are major issues or just minor ones? I have come across as many complaints on the G11. Though it may be because I have been looking up the S90 a lot more.

I like the faster lens and size of the S90.

Complaints, that I am aware of are minor and of no real consequence in particular when housed for underwater use. Some people do not like the front control ring, the front control ring is a Godsend to me and is reminiscent of the control rings on film SLRs and rangefinders I am accustomed to using. The small size, yes it is small, either you like that are you don't, the rear control wheel does not have detentes, yawn, whine, yawn, I don't flipping care. Stupid movie mode, did you read the part where I used the adjective "stupid" as in I don't care if it has any movie mode at all. I don't want a movie camera. Next---.

N

I have seen few if any complaints about the front wheel. That is typically viewed as a distinct asset. I have seen numerous complaints about the rear control wheel that spins freely, and will therefore result in unintended changes in iso, exposure comp., etc. Some folks don't mind, some hate it. How significant it is to underwater use is unknown to me. It does appear from what I have read to be a feature in need of revision. Assuming you are shooting with a strobe, a faster lens is not terribly important underwater and you won't likely be shooting wide open anyway.

I actually would like a camera with HD video capability. I have seen some impressive results from DSLR and even compact cameras and would enjoy playing with that ability. I believe it will be standard on most future cameras. If one doesn't want video, then it is unimportant.

No camera is perfect. Pick a camera and I can find numerous complaints and criticisms about it from different sources. Overall, the S90 seems to be one of the two best cameras of its type and general size, along with the Panasonic LX3.

I have been considering the S90 and would appreciate knowing why you selected the Canon housing over the Ikelite or Fisheye FIX housing. Like you, I would use the camera for recreational use, but am somewhat concerned about the housing not keeping out the water. I am generally from the school that worries that saving a few hundred bucks on the less expensive housing may ruin a $450 camera. There are a lot of threads on the S90 and housings from people that seem very savvy on photography, more than enough to confuse me, so I would appreciate a new users viewpoint on the Canon housing.
Thanks in advance.
Guy

I've seen the S90 as low as $350, so $450 is WAY too much.

(Kills me a bit, considering I paid $430 for mine, but such is the cost of being the early adopter.)

If you're just using the camera for recreational snaps and have no intention of adding lenses, the Canon housing is just fine. Just be sure to pay very close attention to the o-ring as you seal it up, make sure there's not a single hair or grain of sand. (Good advise for all housings, frankly, even the expensive ones)

Adding the new Inon adapter, you can even add some external lenses to the Canon housing, so it's not as big of a sacrifice as it was initially. You do give up the deeper rating and the back wheel control, but many people are used to that anyway. The Ikelite housing gains a deeper rating, and some ability to add lenses, but still no back wheel control. Only the Fix offers that.

FWIW, Canon depth viability seem to vary considerably. I know people that have taken them down to 150' with no problems. I know people who have had buttons stick at 100'. Personally, when I had a canon housing on my SD550 6 years or so ago, I had mine down to 130' (perhaps a smidge more) and no problems. So it's something of a crapshoot, I think. Usually they don't leak, however (at least, not at reasonable depths)... usually the issue is the springs cannot keep the buttons out with the added pressure, so they stick until you ascend enough to pop them back out, then all is well again. So it's not as severe an issue as you'd think. And odds are quite good that if 130' is your max depth, it'll be just fine.

As for complaints about the S90: The only ones I've seen are a couple people saying they had issues with the lens itself extending (isolated faulty units, IMO), and complaints about the rear wheel spinning too freely. I fully agree about that one, but that's an issue only on land. In a housing, well, Fix is the only one that can even rotate the wheel anyway, the other two just use buttons to push the edges, so that's a non-issue as well. The Fix wheel is stiff enough that it doesn't rotate freely.

We can hope for a S90HD or S90 II but my bet is they will screw it up and it will not fit in existing housings and will have a stupid 10X zoom. I will take the funny rear control when over a useless 10X zoom any day. But, maybe great fortune will shine upon us and the "revised" version will be identical to the existing camera. But, it might also disappear from the market. I plan to purchase a spare S90 as soon as the prices drop this summer.

I got my camera for 375. BB, on sale and had a store coupon.

N

Hi.... I recently purchased the Canon S90 on the advise of a couple of folks. I purchased the Canon housing as well.

I'm really happy with the camera. I'm not utilizing an external strobe or anything like that as I'm not a photographer or anything close.

Anyhow, I took the camera to Maui this past week and thought that I would share some of my pics. I'm really happy with the camera and would recommend it to anyone. Especially if you like to "recreationally" take pictures :)

Thanks,

I would like to ask you about speed, how fast is it from the time you press the shutter to your photo? Say compared to your previous SD camera?

Also the fact that it has no viewfinder, is that a problem in daylight on land?

Adam

I checked around locally and I can get the ike s90 housing for $310 but the wide angle lenses and other accessories are not so available. The INON dealer here carries a more complete line.

I was thinking since the Ike has a 67mm mount built-in. Then it is also one less thing to buy. Plus I get a deeper rating and what seems to be a more rugged housing than the Canon housing. Do the INON 67mm wide angle work with the s90 in the Ike Housing since it is 28mm at it's wide setting? I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that combo?

Of course I also saw a FIX housing for $735 from the same shop. So I am not really any closer to making a decision.

I really like the INON System of Lenses, Strobes and Arms and was hoping to just find a camera/housing that will kinda just "drop-in" to the heart of it all.

I checked around locally and I can get the ike s90 housing for $310 but the wide angle lenses and other accessories are not so available. The INON dealer here carries a more complete line.

I was thinking since the Ike has a 67mm mount built-in. Then it is also one less thing to buy. Plus I get a deeper rating and what seems to be a more rugged housing than the Canon housing. Do the INON 67mm wide angle work with the s90 in the Ike Housing since it is 28mm at it's wide setting? I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that combo?

Of course I also saw a FIX housing for $735 from the same shop. So I am not really any closer to making a decision.

I really like the INON System of Lenses, Strobes and Arms and was hoping to just find a camera/housing that will kinda just "drop-in" to the heart of it all.

not sure ikelite housing can use with inon arm base,
coz ikelite had 2 screw hole and if not mistaken,
inon arm base only support single screw which common for canon or other housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom