Advice on Fins (Ankle Pain)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have ankle/leg issues, I would suggest a set of Force fins. There are many different styles to suit your purposes. With these fins, there is a lot less stress on the leg, particularly the ankle and shin. You can contact Blair Mott here on the board. He's a great guy, and he can answer any questions you may have about Force Fins.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I ended up stopping by the local scuba dealer here in the island and got myself a pair of Seawing Nova. Even though all the recommendations were pointing for split fins, there was always the problem of currents and surges where I dive and I definitely needed a fin that could deliver a little more of power.

I will be doing the Rescue Diver course this weekend and won't use them for that (will get to beat up my Tri-ex a little bit more) but as soon as I have tested the Seawing Nova I will try to post an extensive review of them -- hopefully with video.

Thank you all and happy diving.

Those are some strange looking fins. Please post your thoughts after racking up some dives.

Here you go and you thinking is right on about the SP Novas!

60:Second ScubaLab: SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova | Scuba Diving Magazine

One of the finest fins they have ever tested! Search over.

I'd be willing to give those a go. From a certain angle they look like the butt end of a squid.

My feeling about scuba gear is, "anything that looks like it *can* break, *will* break." That makes me have doubts about the hing points on this fin as it does with any fin that has "hinges".

Nevertheless, I'd be interested in trying these out and comparing them to my old Poseidon "jets".

R..

Hello everyone,

I have been diving with the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex and they are nice, cheap fins that get the job done, particularly when diving under strong currents or a surge. However, recently I have been experiencing pain on my right ankle when diving, most likely because of a past injury.

As I'm entertaining the idea of buying new fins I thought about dropping a message and seek some divers opinions about the subject. I am leaning towards Scubapro Nova or Split fins... any suggestions or thoughts in the matter?

Thank you all in advance!

Take a look at the OMS Slipstream fins. They fit well and are light , but strong enough to do the job.

I always recommend Force Fins for anyone with leg pain or injuries. They move all of the work to the upper leg.

I was going to say the same thing -- give Force Fins a try. All the work is done by your quads.

I can personally recommend the seawing novas as I have a pair, they have incredible power and acceleration. With the bungee straps they are really comfortable plus they behave alot like split fins. Scubalab also seems to love them as it was testers choice 2010 and you need not worry about wear and tear because they have been tested to withstand more than 1000 000 kick cycles.

That said however for ultimate comfort + power I would say that you should purchase the "Apollo Bios" or the "Atomic Smoke on the Water". I am planning on buying these myself in the near future. Always test new gear at a LDS before your mind is made up. Most LDS have a pool which they allow you to test gear before your purchase.

I tried the Seawing Novas, and I was very impressed with the power they can generate -- I cut 2 minutes off one of my timed swims for my DM, as compared with doing it in my Jets. But you don't get power out of nothing, and I hope you find the fins reduce the stress on your ankle, but I'm worried that you won't. The Novas still take a pretty good bite out of the water, and you do feel significant resistance with them.

If they don't work for you, try some splits. They're awful fins, in my opinion, but they're good for one thing, and that's reducing stress on the joints.

My feeling about scuba gear is, "anything that looks like it *can* break, *will* break." That makes me have doubts about the hing points on this fin as it does with any fin that has "hinges". R..

If I remember correctly, they come with a lifetime warranty so if they do break you should get another pair. Of course that won't mean much if it breaks on a dive. :D

I am using Atomic right now. Shore diving, I am slower than most for the surface swim out. Underwater, I stay with everyone else, unless there is a current. These fins seem to be very ineffective in current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom