Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am after opinions on choosing between these 2 computers.

First off I do really like the UEMIS SDA but...........

the pricing is way off when you compare it to the entry level Shearwater Predator.

I do not need connections and capabilities for CCR and trimix is not very likely in my future due to costs of helium in Australia and no particular desire to go that deep.

What I am after is a computer that wont lock me out, will do some sensible calculation of deco obligations if I decide to start deco diving. (And yes I know I have a perfectly good brain and could use a timer and depth gauge but I don't want to - just thought I'd pre-empt those comments!)

Part of my desire for the UEMIS is to keep an eye on what my wife is doing as well as myself.

The issue is that we have 2 OLED based computers from 2 different suppliers and the price is not really comparable as far as I can see.

Also the Shearwater has a bluetooth connection and the UEMIS is another cable which is a big miss IMHO!

Does anyone have any input that would help me decide between the 2 any real world experiences would be great!

Last edited:
The USB cable with the Uemis is used for charging, too. Bluetooth vs directly connected will allways be personal preference (for myself I dislike bluetooth with a passion,but again, that's subjective).

The USB cable with the Uemis is used for charging, too. Bluetooth vs directly connected will allways be personal preference (for myself I dislike bluetooth with a passion,but again, that's subjective).

OK my experiences are different but I know others who've had worlds of pain with bluetooth.

If we have to have a USB cable to charge it, how about a 12 volt adaptor for charging? The most often neglected option which can be the most useful in certain situations/places!

Has no-one out there used the Shearwater??

I have seen a dive partner utilize. I can't imagaine that the Shearwater would not be the hands down selection if one is technical diving at least some of the time...

I have only had a Shearwater predator for a couple months and have not used it much. However, it is a great computer. You only "need" to use the bluetooth to either a) download software updates or b) download your dives. The times I have used the bluetooth, it worked flawlessly on the first try. As you have indicated, even the predator-sa (without the fischer connection) will have alot of capability that you may not need. I don't know what the price is in your area, but you can get predator's fairly cheap (as you have noted). The interface is simple and a dive buddy was programming gasses within 10 minutes of taking it out of the box without any reading instructions. Underwater, the unit is awesome. I really like that you can add gasses while underwater.

As far as "sensible" deco calculations, the shearwater uses gradient factors (gf) and the Buhlman algorithm. Therefore, you can adjust the gf for various levels of conservatism (you may need to read up on gf's to fully understand what it means to change the gfs).

The Uemis won't lock you out and you can set most of the parameters for your safety and deco calculations. If you are interested, I can e-mail you a user manual for it.

Michael

Hi Michael,

the manual you offer to e-mail, I assume that is same you can download from uemis website right?

Ulrich

Ulrich,

It looks the same to me!

I still appreciate that the North America rep is willing to email this to people who are interested.

I am still trying to justify the cost to myself at the moment.

Does anyone know why they went with the Buhlmann 8 compartment algorithym rather than the 16 compartment that the Shearwater uses??

Does anyone know what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Hi Michael,

the manual you offer to e-mail, I assume that is same you can download from uemis website right?

Ulrich

Hello Ulrich,
yes, it is the same manual. I usually add some comments about specific questions as well as some Videolinks to youtube where the unit can be seen under water in the different modes.

Michael

Ulrich,

It looks the same to me!

I still appreciate that the North America rep is willing to email this to people who are interested.

I am still trying to justify the cost to myself at the moment.

Does anyone know why they went with the Buhlmann 8 compartment algorithym rather than the 16 compartment that the Shearwater uses??

Does anyone know what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Hello,

yes, there is a reason why we went with 8 modified compartments rather than 16. If you want, I can send you a power point presentation explaining why, but your understanding of physiology and math should be very good ( and I do not want to sound as if you do not have that knowledge ).
In a nutshell, the Buehlmann 8 algorithm used is flexible based on your personal safety settings, but it also calculates with your actual work load ( based on air consumption), the micro bubble load as well as your tissue cooling. All those information can also be seen during the dive.
Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom