Advice on Fins (Ankle Pain)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tide

Registered
Reaction score
Guam -- that little corner in the Pacific
Hello everyone,

I have been diving with the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex and they are nice, cheap fins that get the job done, particularly when diving under strong currents or a surge. However, recently I have been experiencing pain on my right ankle when diving, most likely because of a past injury.

As I'm entertaining the idea of buying new fins I thought about dropping a message and seek some divers opinions about the subject. I am leaning towards Scubapro Nova or Split fins... any suggestions or thoughts in the matter?

Thank you all in advance!

There are several find strokes you can try, the most common of which are the flutter kick (moving the whole leg up and down) and the frog kick (like the kick used for a breast stroke in swimming). These two kicks put different kinds of stresses on your ankles. Have you tried both?

R..

There are several find strokes you can try, the most common of which are the flutter kick (moving the whole leg up and down) and the frog kick (like the kick used for a breast stroke in swimming). These two kicks put different kinds of stresses on your ankles. Have you tried both?

R..

Thanks for the advice but I do dive with different kicks, including frog kick (for most part of the time) and the flutter (usually when dealing with stronger currents or surges). Interestingly enough, no matter the kind of kick, the ankle still hurts after a little while in the water -- and I have been diving in the most part of the time in waters from 75F to 82F.

I use Apollo splits sometimes. I have had multiple surgeries on my left knee. I do not know if ankles are like knees. I strengthen the muscles around the joint by swimming and bicycling then do not overdo it when kicking on the surface with fins. Find a shop that will allow trying the splits out in a pool incase you want to return them.

I can recommend the new ScubaPro Sea Wing Novas. I used them for a week in Bonaire and found them to be extremely comfortable, and fast. Hopefully your local SP dealer has a set you can take for a test drive.

I always recommend Force Fins for anyone with leg pain or injuries. They move all of the work to the upper leg.

If you have an chance you might try ScubaPro Twin Jet split fins.....

The yellow are the softest and very easy on ankles and calfs.....

Hope this helps......M

You should give atomic splits a shot.... They are great. Almost like there is nothing there at all.

Back
Top Bottom