DM test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When one does theory tests here in US do you get an option of doing calculations in metric?

For me (born and raised in EU) is much easier to do calculations in metric. I know workbook comes with both examples and I use metric to do calculations there.

I'd recommend you ask your instructor, but I believe the answer is yes. If you're PADI, the exams I've seen have sections both for imperial and metric. The answer sheet is the same. It would just be a matter of the instructor printing out the answer key (available via the Pro section of PADI.com) for metric if they haven't done so already in order to grade the exam. I can't speak to other agencies.

answer is yes..but if you plan on assisting/teaching here in the US I would suggest getting comfortable in imperial measurements/terms..

Definitely, talk with your instructor. I have no problem doing the problems in imperial or metric, and I can explain the answers in both (engineering background); however, I know the other instructors in the shop wouldn't be able to handle the metric side.

If you have to give your answer in imperial units, do not convert at the end. Work the entire problem in the imperial units. Converting early and converting back at the end will skew your answer some and will give a "non-answer key" result.

I've never had a student come to me with that, but I would have no issue with it. The tests are in both Metric and Imperial.

When one does theory tests here in US do you get an option of doing calculations in metric?

For me (born and raised in EU) is much easier to do calculations in metric. I know workbook comes with both examples and I use metric to do calculations there.

You should do the test the way "local" divers work. Nothing else is relevant!

It's pretty pointless to be able to do everything in metric if nobody around you can.... It's like being able to talk Martian when everyone else comes from the Moon....

I've done all of my training in Holland in Dutch because that's what people talk over here....

Get used to it. Grow some. The USA is your new home so blend in and get aligned with local practices!

R..

and let's face it - the principles are all the same, just the numbers are different.

When I was teaching big DM classes (in Metric) I would have candidates do the imperial questions, just to prove a point. Metric is much easier to do in your head, but it is wise to have familiarity with both systems, because you will inevitably meet divers that have imperial gauges in an otherwise metric location. It helps to know what 50 bar is in PSI (multiply, very roughly, by 15 to convert).

To answer the question, you should be able to do your exams in either,

I am all for metric when it comes to math, but Miles, pints and gallons are so much more poetic than kilometres and litres. :D

Cheers

C.

Off topic a little, but funny thing here in Canada is some things are referred to in metric (temperatures), while feet are always used for depth. I found that in the workbook some types of problems seemed simpler in metric, others in imperial. Learning both would seem best. You never know where you may end up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom