New to diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axv521

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My name is Tony and I am from Miami, Fl. and naturally I love the saltwater I have always been a big time fisherman and just got into diving. I am doing a lot of research on different products and places to dive. I am taking my second class tomorrow and I am super siked I have never gone diving so I am trying to soak up all the information I can.... My Buddie who is a instructor is teaching me the class. So if any one in scuba-board world can give me any info on products and or experiences it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.......... I will post my progress as it continues.......

Welcome 2 SB! Hope u enjoy getting wet!

You've found a sport that will change your life for the better. Good luck!

Welcome Tony, I just finished my pool classes and purchased a ScubaPro MK25 1st stage with a S600 2nd stage and love it. I am starting my 2nd job tomorrow to support my new habit,,be forwarned, it is addicitive:support: if you ever need a dive buddie I am only about 18hrs away! lol Hope you have as much fun as I am. John

Well let me start by saying that I have recently in the last week finaly after a life of wanting to be a real diver. Ever since I was a small child and saw my first frogman on t.v. I have wanted to do it. Now in the short time and cost I paid to P.A.D.I. I dont want to dive and my dream has been compleatly shattered.
I feel compleatly untrained with a short pool dive and only two open water dives. I dont understand weight, dive tables, (my dive instructor stated if I followed the tables I wouldnt even have to do safety stops) boyancy, I cant do a mask clear without choking on water. I didnt even do a mask anything in the lake. So I go to another shop in my area and the owner and he tells me how inadiquate my training was and even laughed at me. He stated I got what I paid for and is so arrogant I almost punched the *@$# in the face. my 14 year old son even stated he was horrible and begged me not to send him to that store for his cert. I will have the decent behavior (that i was not givin) I will not state the name of the shops with the poor training or the shop from H@#l.
I studied the online padi course and could recite it verbatum. The skills such as regulator recovery and buddy breath are cake but the rest im done. anyone out there on the other side of the puter have any sugestions or recomendations.

Hey Darkcloud,

I am so sorry you have not had a good experience so far but I would not give up the dream just yet. I started to sign up for the PADI certification and think with the correct instructor and LDS you could receive the training you desire and need.

I only speak for myself when I say this, but I feel that taking the SSI course for certification was the best decision I could have make. I feel like I have an extra ordinary LDS though and my instructors were 1st class.

There were 2 instructors for 6 students, we spent about 2 hours in the pool for each of the 4 days of classes, learned each step and had to do them over, and over, and over until they were very comfortable. We have our open water dives coming up and it will consist of 2 days with 3 dives on one day and 2 dives the next.

I wanted to go scuba diving, but I wanted to know how to scuba dive just as much. I am 50 years old and while I do have an excitment addiction, I also have a desire to live addiction. After reading several books waiting on my open water dives for certification, I have realized just how important training can be and how thankful I felt that the training I received had me ready to ease into the water and begin exploring my dream as well.

I know my LDS and instructors told us that they would take us back into the pool enviroment, give us additional training in anything we didn't feel 100% comfortable with. We could sit back in on the classes if needed, whatever it took to have us prepared. This may just be because we have a great LDS with great instructors but I think I would ask to have then let you retake the class. Problem is that ( and I am a Microsoft Engineer) that the saying "garbage in-garbrge out, might apply. If the proper training isn't there, taking it twice wouldn't solve our issue probably.

I know that time and cost is a real issue with all of us, but there is no way I would attempt to dive if I didn't feel like I was ready. I honestly think I would recommend checking out the boards and finding a better dive shop and instructors and retake the training. Your life is the most important thing here, but please keep the dream alive. I know I am just as new to this as you are, but I feel like you can never have enough training.

Hang onto the dream, and let me know what you decide to do.

John:victory:

anyone out there on the other side of the puter have any sugestions or recomendations.

Yes,.... FIND ANOTHER INSTRUCTOR IMMEDIATELY!:outtahere: Sorry you had such a bad experience. There are many instructors out there. Many very good ones, some,.... well,....not so good:shakehead:. Sounds from your description that you may have found one of those not so good ones, but since I was not witness to what transpired, I will withhold any judgement on the individual. Find another instructor, interview them before any money exchanges hands. Make sure your goals are clearly stated & the instructor's experience will accomplish what you want. Discuss what you expect from them & have them discuss what they expect of you. It goes both ways. Also discuss exactly how the course will go so that there are no surprises or disapointments. Try to find an instructor who insists on repetition of skills until they are comfrtable & second nature. Also find an instructor who is patient & excited about the sport & wants to instill that same excitement into their students. Your bad experience has shown you now, what you DO want. Before, you may have not have known as a complete beginner.

Diving is a wonderful & fun sport. Don't let a bad experience drive you away. Do give it another go.

Thanks for the support and encouragement about the problem with the schools. I think I have made up my mind, got my cert card today and I cut it up im trying to sell my personal gear since there are only the two shops within a 40 mile radius in my area. I dont wanna support the shop from heck or the other poor teachers. Im done, I set the aspiration an I accomplished it. I still cant breath with any water in my face and not drink an entire pool. think ill settle for my motorcycle and try skydiving. lol.....

I am very sorry to hear that Darkcloud.:depressed: Too bad that some bad experiences have come to ruin for you, what could be a lifelong passion for some. I understand your reasons completely. The scuba community, overall, is filled with many wonderful, good hearted people. I wish you only the best in whatever endeavors you decide to pursue.:blinking:

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom