Connecting Mares AirII to 1st stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx so much for taking the time and having the patience to help me. I think I will look on ScubaPros site and see what they have or if they even sell a "branded" inflator hose by itself and then try back at my LDS. I feel stupid for not thinking in advance on this issue, but it is great having a board and members to help guide people thru things like this.

I had been using their equipment for the pool portions of my class. I had finished the pool and the written test and bought the regulator set for my open water dives and ask if I would be able to use them and they said sure, but didn't mention I would also need to buy a hose for the SPG and BCD. MAybe they just thought I knew? I feel like a dweeb now.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been reading this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...umbest-things-youve-seen-newbie-diver-do.html, and "not buying an inflator hose" isn't even on the list.

The hoses seem to be $50-$80 online. OldNSalty mentioned that perhaps you should have received one with the Air2, so I might check with the LDS about it.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've been reading this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...umbest-things-youve-seen-newbie-diver-do.html, and "not buying an inflator hose" isn't even on the list.

The hoses seem to be $50-$80 online. OldNSalty mentioned that perhaps you should have received one with the Air2, so I might check with the LDS about it.

Only if he bought it new...But I did check the size of my hose :D
No-the inflator hose.

The scubapro original was 29"-Amazingly longer then I thought.

The TUSA, which is the exact same AIR II made under license, has a 24" hose.

So today I learned that the AIR II can use at least 2 different sized hoses. I think I am going to try the shorter one.

Thx, salty again. I am curious as to why you would opt goth the shorter hose? When I read your post I saw the 2 sizes, I was sure you would pick the longer hose for added length in case you needed it as well as being able to breath off of it and not have the dump wanting to pull at the same time. I will wait until I hear your reasoning before I get mine. I was supprised at the cost of the inflator hoses. How about the length of the hose for the computer
/spg/depthconsole hose length? You guys are great, thx again .

You raise a good point Sullivan. I am trying the shorter hose for economic reasons. The longer one is leaking and I already had the shorter one from my spare parts.

I am going to try it in the morning with a little beach dive - I'll let you know how it works.

Both of those hoses are probably longer than his inflator, so the shorter one might actually be easier to breathe from because the extra hose isn't getting all kinked up. I guess we'll see when he gets back from his dive :)

OK Sully,

I am back from my dive and what a nice day to dive. Not too hot, not too cold. I was able to save a baby grouper, picked up a bunch of lost fishing crap (that I gave back to the fishermen on shore) and saw some nice things. I also got to practice my buoyancy and check out the AIR II with the shorter hose.

You were correct in that the shorter hose gave less range of movement. I would say that I could move about 45 degrees plus or minus from center. I didn’t find this to be a big draw back for 2 reasons.
1. I could simply rotate over on my left or right side to get the full view and compensate for the lack of freedom.
2. In an OOA situation, I am not sure that I would be overly concerned with the limited view as it can be compensated for and I am not going to be using the alternate air for long.
For me, I am keeping the shorter hose but I have an option for you to consider. You could try the myflex with an adapter. This might give you greater range of motion on the shorter hose for about the same price. My LDS priced them both out (Myflex with adapter vs replacement AIR II hose) at about $50-$60.

The pros and cons of the adapter are that some will argue it is another failure point but on the upside, if you found yourself needing to rent a BC without an AIR II you only need to remove the adapter and you would be fine.

If I didn’t already have a replacement hose I would have gone with the 24” myflex hose and adapter.

I hope you find something useful in my ramblings.

Sully, can you go back to whomever you bought the BCD that had the Air2 attached to it and ask for the hose? I hate it when some sells an Air2 or similar without the matching hose. The hose will cost you damn near as much as the Air2 will by itself. So in some was buying the Air2 wo/ the hose is worthless. And until you get the correct hose it is worthless.

Hey Guys,

Sounds like you had a wonderful dive day Salty, just the kind of day that makes it all worthwhile. Your real time evaluation of the hose length will help me greatly. My thinking this entire time was having the ability to cut out a hose from my setup, thinking just how often would there actually be an OOA emergency or 2nd stage equipment failure where I would need to utilize my backup regulator.

Of course my own thinking is sometimes my worst enemy. Then I thought (after of course I had bought the BCD with the AIR2) if there is an emergency situation, would the AIR2 work. I could see myself trying to share my 1st stage with a possibly panicked diver, trying to keep a short hose regulator in my mouth, being able to deflate my BCD on accent and be able to survey the entire area around me to insure our safe accent while being basically tied on a short leash to my BCD.

I think you are right on the shorter hose. The last thing I think I would want to add to the above senerio would be an AIR2 with a longer hose that in some way had gotten entangled or kinked. I will check iwth my LDS on the 24” myflex hose and adapter.

After all of your all's imput and more research of my own I think it boils down to one major factor.
KNOW your equipmet inside and out and practice, practice, practice, situations where the equipment would come into play. Cutting a hose out of the setup doesn't do me any good if it keeps me from accomplishing an efficient OOA transfer.

I will let you guys know what I end up with in a couple of days. The BCD and AIR2 are being serviced right now so when I pick it up a will get hoses then as well.

Hey scared, the BCD was a gift my wife bought off of ebay, so the odds of getting the hose from them is probably slim but I will attempt to contact the seller all the same.

Thx all for the time and patience of nubie stupidity

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom