Dive Report: Navarre Beach Pier 01 April 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Met up with Grouper321 and Recharge for a night dive at the Navarre Pier tonight and although the water looked calm and somewhat blue today, it could not have been further from the truth tonight.

We hit the water after a minor equipment delay and immediately noticed the snot in the water.... No viz at all near the shore and all the way out to near the end of the old pier at the surface. We made our way on the surface out toward the end of the pier before we finally submerged and made our way down to a depth of about 20 feet where we maybe had 5 feet of viz. We scooted all around under the pier and around it looking for the old rubble and such but we never did see anything. It is flat and very silty out there. The bright side is that the temp was 68* the whole dive and we saw some new crabs that none of us had seen before and a lot of them. My guess is from my reef creature ID book is that they were Flame Box crabs, and they were about the size of a softball. We also saw a lot of big squid some as big as 8 inches long.

There is a barge next to the old pier and most of the walkway is now gone and they have begun removing the pilings too. Say goodbye to the old pier....It has done me well. It will be missed:depressed:

Debriefed at the waffle house on 98 in Navarre. Yummy Waffles!

Dive time was 38 minutes at 22 feet.

Sounds like the night Stasia and I crawled out of there. Glad it was dark :D

Is it all gone now?? Going to be in town this weekend and it looks like the O is a bust:/

Back
Top Bottom