Mares Nemo Air - Horrific COMPUTER MALFUNCTION!!!

Have you encountered any malfunctions with the MARES NEMO AIR?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JK4U

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Guys....

I had my Nemo Air just over 3 months now (first dive Dec 21st). Almost right away it randomly showed water temps of 9 or minus 9 degs (altho 20), logged dives at the surface, without tank attached (0mins-28mtrs, 1min-36mtrs-0bar). This has happened quite frequently. The quick connect I took off (and connected the comp directly 2 the hose) even before I read about it online (no-one informed me) because of problems under water, as the O-ring was done for and leaking after every 5-6 dives and had 2 b replaced...- my retailer did not inform me of any known problems either...

Until today I have not had a single problem with the data under water tho...:
You best watch the video about it yourself:
lalala...facebook...com/v/1296119041122 (Can not post URLs yet :/)

Basically, the pressure indicator went all crazy on me. The cyl had 199 bar (checked at the base). I have a analog console that confirmed this. The Nemo showed me 177 when I went in and 290 when I came out... In the log, it saved the numbers it showed me down below...tank pressure ranging from 58 to 650+ bar... average breathing rate anywhere from 8l/min (my actual breathing rate) to over 200l/min. Earlier today it logged a one minute dive at 28m and a H2O temp of -4degs...

I mean, come on Mares...u can kill someone like that...

I was down quite deep and on a nightdive when this happened - good thing I always have my analog backup console hooked in...imagine the comp shows me 58 bar and Im down 28m ... or 649bar - how is one suppose to respond to that?

If u sell stuff people do trust their life to - you HAVE TO MAKE SURE the kit ALWAYS does what it is supposed to do - unless the batt is really low the computer HAS TO WORK. Dont you agree???

The comp also has 122 logged dives on it - these I was able to download into my netbook until three days ago - today it would only send the last 5 dives to the netbook - reinstalled the SW, replaced the comp batt - nothing. 122 dives in the comp, accessible - but only five will be transmitted to the netbook...

Waiting to hear from you...Mares team... :|

If u sell stuff people do trust their life to - you HAVE TO MAKE SURE the kit ALWAYS does what it is supposed to do - unless the batt is really low the computer HAS TO WORK. Dont you agree???

I realize you said you haven't had the computer long, but are you sure that the battery may not be the problem? Is it user changeable on this model? I've seen some wonky things from other computers due to this.

I have in fact changed the battery just a few days ago and checked the voltage personally (with a voltmeter: 2.97 volts), brand new, duracell. I just rechecked: 2.91V.

If you watch the video you will agree that, if the computer tells me that the batt is OK - even if that status is off and the batt is low - this should still not happen...

My lds changed out the battery in my Nemo Air after about 50 dives. I went for my next dive and when I hooked up the air hose it wouldn't show me any info at first. Then it came on and logged a bogus dive. After that no problem I just figured it to be a computer thing. I have to wonder now. I have beeen most happy with the Air though. I am getting concerned about the status of the latest recall.

i posted about an issue i had with temp errors and 1 dive not downloading. after i looked at the data that did download the depth was eratic so i sent it in to mares and am yet to get it back. i like the nemo air, the download software is not that great. but works. i hope this is just a bug that can be fixed with firmware update.

Hey Guys....

I had my Nemo Air just over 3 months now (first dive Dec 21st). Almost right away it randomly showed water temps of 9 or minus 9 degs (altho 20), logged dives at the surface, without tank attached (0mins-28mtrs, 1min-36mtrs-0bar).

Instead of complaining on the internet (where nobody can do much about it), why not just send it back for service, so they can actually fix it?

Terry

Actually I couldn't disagree more.

Your Nemo isn't life support. No computer is. It's just a little box that give you information about your dive.

If your computer stops working, all you need to do is follow your training, and safely end the dive with your buddy. It's just not that big a deal.

And for what it's worth, you can't rely on anything to "always do what it's supposed to." Even the Space Shuttle computer doesn't do that, and it contains the most reliable, most examined hardware and software ever created by humans and it doesn't need to run underwater.

Terry

Even the Space Shuttle computer doesn't do that, and it contains the most reliable, most examined hardware software ever created by humans and it doesn't need to run underwater.

Terry

and was built by the lowest bidder!

as for when my computer went back its been about two weeks now. anybody know where the repair for this is done?

I had a simlar problem. We had just completed our first dive and were sitting on the boat when I heard a beeping from my Nemo Air it wasn't connected to a bottle and when I looked at it, it read that I had been diving for the last 7 min at 37m and -20C?? The only way I could get it to stop was to connect it to a bottle which seemed to stop it straight away??? On the next dive it performed perfectly???

Regards
Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom